How do I change the default sheets that open on the desktop app?

Options
James Hansen
James Hansen ✭✭
edited 02/15/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I am using the desktop app and notice that the same 4 sheets are opening up when I start the app. I would like to change this as the ones that are opening up appear to be the same 4 I was looking at the first time I used the desktop app. There doesn't appear to be any setting to or feature to set the initial sheets (a la Chrome) OR some way to "Set as Default".

Best Answers

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @James Hansen - I found some answers on the community so hope I can answer your question here. :)

"Smartsheet does not open any sheet when you log in normally. If a sheet is open when you log in, it is because you did not "close it" before logging out or closing the browser window, therefore it remembers what you had open last and opens the same when you log back in. If you close all sheets (each TAB X) then log out or close the browser when you open Smartsheet it will not open any sheets, it will take you to the home Tab"

However, I still haven't found an answer to having a Home page for the Smartsheet app. Hope the experts are working on it! :)

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Ipshita

Ipshita Mukherjee

• Blake Bernet
    Blake Bernet ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Any updates to the last two comments on this thread? Need an answer to this issue for the App environment.

Answers

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @James Hansen - I found some answers on the community so hope I can answer your question here. :)

"Smartsheet does not open any sheet when you log in normally. If a sheet is open when you log in, it is because you did not "close it" before logging out or closing the browser window, therefore it remembers what you had open last and opens the same when you log back in. If you close all sheets (each TAB X) then log out or close the browser when you open Smartsheet it will not open any sheets, it will take you to the home Tab"

However, I still haven't found an answer to having a Home page for the Smartsheet app. Hope the experts are working on it! :)

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Ipshita

Ipshita Mukherjee

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @James Hansen

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• James Hansen
    Options

Thank you @Ipshita . Intentionally closing the tabs worked. Of course, it would be nice if there was a feature to create a workbook.

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@James Hansen I agree totally. Please submit that as a feature request. Also, don't forget to hit an "Awesome" to my response if it helps you :)

Cheers,

Ipshita

Ipshita Mukherjee

• BBerry
    BBerry ✭✭
    Options

@Ipshita

I wish it were actually as simple as what you've stated here...

I have been trying to remedy this for months now and no matter what I do, I ALWAYS default to the same 2 sheets, one of which is no longer something I ever use, so as soon as I open SS, I replace that tab. I currently have 6 sheets that I basically live out of it and have tried to close all tabs, close SS, and reopen (I've even tried closing tabs, closing SS, rebooting) and the same 2 open. I've also tried closing them and opening the 6 sheets I live in now and closing SS, rebooting, etc....come back, and it's still those same 2. It's almost like there's some local cache that cannot be cleared. Anyone know of something I might be missing in terms of local cache setup??

• CarlaB
    CarlaB ✭✭✭
    Options

I have the same experience as @BBerry -- The same few sheets NOT open when I close the app will reliably open the next time I launch the app. There has to be something cached.

The quoted comment is true if you're using the BROWSER environment, however this discussion is about a problem in the APP environment.

• Blake Bernet
    Blake Bernet ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Any updates to the last two comments on this thread? Need an answer to this issue for the App environment.

• LaurenLong
    LaurenLong ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have the same question about the app!

• Scott Lee
    Scott Lee ✭✭
    edited 08/14/23
    Options

This worked for me. Hope it works for everyone else.

When you use the SmartSheet app, you can choose which sheets you want to see first when you open the app. To set this up, just make sure you have the right sheets open in the app, then go to the "File" menu and choose "Quit SmartSheet" when you're done.

Next time you open the app, it will automatically show you the sheets you had open before. If there are sheets you don't need anymore and you don't want them to show up when you open the app, just close those sheets and use the "Quit SmartSheet" option again. When you open the app again, those sheets won't be there anymore.

• SCSDmoore
    SCSDmoore ✭✭✭
    Options

I had two sheets that kept loading after closing the desktop app (x in upper right). Using File>Quit resolved it.

Looking at task manager after closing the desktop app (x in upper right), I could see the app was still running. File>Quit closed it completely.

• MitchK
    MitchK ✭✭
    Options

Thank you @Scott Lee , the File -> Quit worked for me.

That issue was driving me nuts.

The app has some advantages over the browser, but it also has a lot of glitches and needs more work, but now I have one less thing bugging me. Appreciate the help.

• MLB
    MLB ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you @Scott Lee ! It worked for me too. FINALLY!

• cgswan
    cgswan ✭✭
    edited 02/14/24
    Options

I am looking for the answer too!

This has to be possible as I have it set to open to a specific dashboard upon login. I set it up so long ago, I cannot remember how, or to instruct others to do the same.

Help is appreciated!