Card view for Consolidated Tasks

We have a project portfolio that has multiple projects on it with multiple assigned people on the tasks.

We need a way to have each person use a card view to organize tasks from each project onto a personal task Kanban. Each Card will need to be a direct link to the project task so when changes are made in the Card view it is automatic to the project.

There are multiple people on the Assigned To

I need a roll up card process so the team doesn't need to sort through a long list and also have to open each project to find their work.

Brad Stickley

Sr Project Manager

www.bwdesigngroup.com Exceptional People, Compelling Solutions

Answers

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If this is all within one sheet:

You could make a filter with Assigned to, set up as a Contains or One Of, and name them after each worker. That would allow each Assigned To contact to bring up any projects that are a name match to themselves.

If you are not within one sheet, you would connect the two projects with inbound / outbound cell links so that items changed in one view would update in the other.

You would also be able to do this in a report, as those are inherently reciprocal, and you would be able to use the filter criteria of the Assign To contains.

Smartsheet Community Champion and Ambassador

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• BStickley
    BStickley ✭✭✭

Thank you for the answer.

I was not able to use the card view in a report. Perhaps because of the multiple assignments? Not sure.

Brad Stickley

Sr Project Manager

• BStickley
    BStickley ✭✭✭

Also - this is a roll up of all tasks across the entire project portfolio. So there are multiple project sheets to combine.

Thanks again

Brad Stickley

Sr Project Manager

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BStickley

Did the creation of the filtered view resolve the Card View dilemma, this should be able be set to each user and can be done for contacts cells that are set to multiple contacts.

Smartsheet Community Champion and Ambassador

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/15/23

Hi @BStickley

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Collen's excellent advice/answer.

Another option could be to break out the contacts as text or to separate columns.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• BStickley
    BStickley ✭✭✭

Thanks for the replies.

We should not need to break anything out into different columns to do this. I have customers accessing the project plan and that would be embarrassing for appearances and too much trouble to maintain if the columns are hidden...

There just seems to be something missing with SmartSheets. If we want to use it across multiple projects and roll the tasks into a Card view for the team, this doesn't seem to be possible as described? I find this very surprising because how are we to ask the teams to collaborate on multiple projects that they have?

Brad Stickley

Sr Project Manager

• Lisa Wagstaff
    Lisa Wagstaff Overachievers Alumni
    edited 02/16/23

Hi Brad, I understand your frustration! I ended up having TWO contact columns in my projects, and that actually solved this issue--I have a defined Task Owner (single contact) and a separate column for Involved (multi-select). It helps to have a single person responsible for each task, and this way they can see who they need to consult with.

Once I had that set in all my projects (as well as ensuring that my data columns matched across all projects), I was able to create a report that sources all projects, filtered to Task Owner = Current User. That way, each person logging in sees ONLY their tasks. I checked, and I can use Card view on that report (which I called "My Tasks"). If you want to see what each person sees, you'll need to create separate reports for yourself, filtered to each Task Owner by name (for example, if you want to go over the report with them in a 1x1 meeting--since your version would only show YOUR tasks).

It means doing some retrofitting to assign a single owner, which I can understand might be difficult in your situation, but it should work if you are able to make those adjustments.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BStickley

Happy to help!

I agree with Lisa's excellent workaround.

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.