Multiple formula

Options
Bence
Bence ✭✭
edited 02/16/23 in Formulas and Functions

Hello everyone,

I tried to use multiple formulas, but for some reason it is working together (one-by-one they are working). What I want to do with this: I have a machine checking sheet, where the sheet send me a notification, if I work with any of my machines. Every machine has a group nr (1-5), what defines ow often I have to do the review. The times for every group: Group Nr 1: 243 days, Nr 2: 212 days, Nr 3: 182 days, Nr 4: 120 days, Nr 5: 90 days.

The format of the cells: The group Nr. is a drop down list, the Last check is date, and the output, what I want to get is also a date.

This is my formula:

=IF(AND([Group Nr]@row = "1"); [Last check]@row + 243), IF(AND([Group Nr]@row = "2"); [Last check]@row + 212), IF(AND([Group Nr]@row = "3"); [Last check]@row + 182), IF(AND([Group Nr]@row = "4"); [Last check]@row + 120), IF(OR([Group Nr]@row = "5"); [Last check]@row + 90)

The result is #UNPARSEABLE. What did I missed? How I should put functions together?

BR

Bence

Tags:

Best Answer

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Bence In Smartsheet you will never need a semi colon in a formula. I'm also not sure you need the "and" piece, it doesn't seem like you are comparing two statements. try below

=IF([Group Nr]@row = "1", [Last check]@row + 243, IF([Group Nr]@row = "2", [Last check]@row + 212, IF([Group Nr]@row = "3", [Last check]@row + 182, IF([Group Nr]@row = "4", [Last check]@row + 120, IF([Group Nr]@row = "5", [Last check]@row + 90)))))

This is considered a nested if statement. An if statement has the syntax "=if(expression, result if true, result if false)", the expression can be an "and" statement, but you only need that if you need multiple expressions to be true for the overall expression to be true

=if(and(expression 1, expression 2), result if true, result if false)

a Nested if evaluates each expression in order

=if(expression1, result if true, if(expression2, result if true, if(expression3, result if true, result if false)))

It will check if expression1 is true, if it is the first true result will be displayed, if it is false the second expression will be evaluated, and so forth

Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Bence In Smartsheet you will never need a semi colon in a formula. I'm also not sure you need the "and" piece, it doesn't seem like you are comparing two statements. try below

=IF([Group Nr]@row = "1", [Last check]@row + 243, IF([Group Nr]@row = "2", [Last check]@row + 212, IF([Group Nr]@row = "3", [Last check]@row + 182, IF([Group Nr]@row = "4", [Last check]@row + 120, IF([Group Nr]@row = "5", [Last check]@row + 90)))))

This is considered a nested if statement. An if statement has the syntax "=if(expression, result if true, result if false)", the expression can be an "and" statement, but you only need that if you need multiple expressions to be true for the overall expression to be true

=if(and(expression 1, expression 2), result if true, result if false)

a Nested if evaluates each expression in order

=if(expression1, result if true, if(expression2, result if true, if(expression3, result if true, result if false)))

It will check if expression1 is true, if it is the first true result will be displayed, if it is false the second expression will be evaluated, and so forth

• Bence
    Bence ✭✭
    edited 02/16/23
    Options

@Samuel Mueller thank you, it worked! Also a bit feedback, it was misunderstandable to use semi colons. (I know, it was not the only problem) (the editor shows it with semi colons)

• Samuel Mueller
    Options

strange the editor shows semi colons! But I'm glad you got it working. Let me know if you need anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!