Best way to structure an equipment maintenance form

Bwoods113
Bwoods113 ✭✭✭
edited 02/16/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I am setting up smartsheet to track maintenance on our heavy equipment. I would like to have a form that the technicians fill out when they perform maintenance on a machine that is specific to that machine. I have created a sheet for each piece machine, and in that sheet I have each task as a column with the part number in the column name so that it shows up on the form. I have a couple questions before I create 250 sheets for each machine.

1. Is this the best way to go about this? I am open to any ideas
  2. I was hoping to create a parts database by doing this but is that possible since the part number is in the column name and not a cell?
  3. Setting it up this way will also have the need for 250 forms is there a way to sort forms so they are easier to find on the app?

Thank you for any and all help I appreciate it.

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/16/23

Hi @Bwoods113

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd create the parts database and not include it in the column name but in a so-called helper column underneath instead.

Also, I'd explore having the questions on the row level instead.

You write, 250 sheets per machine. Is that correct? If yes, why?

Can you maybe share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bwoods113
    Bwoods113 ✭✭✭

I added screenshots for Machine 106, I meant to say 250 sheets total 1 for each machine.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/16/23

@Bwoods113

That's what I thought.

I think your structure looks excellent, but I'd make the column names more general, add the helper row (that reference the parts list), and change the names in the form.

Another option is to use automated update requests or add the information in the sheet/report directly instead.

How many people will do the maintenance?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bwoods113
    Bwoods113 ✭✭✭

Can the helper row show up in the form? I was hoping to have the part number in the form itself to help the technician know what filter to use.

There are 4 technicians that will be doing maintenance.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bwoods113

Unfortunately, it's impossible to include the helper information in the form.

If it's only four technicians, I recommend using the sheet(s), Reports, or similar instead in the mobile app.

For example, you could have a filter in the sheet that shows the technicians looking at their jobs or the same in a report. You could have an automated workflow so they could see the assignments for the day, week, etc.

Also, for the sheet or report option, include the part info and include more details.

Make sense?

What do you think?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!