Why a contact is not saved after filling an update request?

Thibaut
Thibaut ✭✭
edited 02/21/23 in Smartsheet Basics

When I receive an update request and I add a new validator, the contact can be selected and the update sended but when I check back in the grid the value is not stored.

I discovered that when I delete the mail dropdown from the Validator column the value is stored in the cell.

Here are the screenshots :

For validator 2 I kept the mails on dropdown list and for Validator 3 I deleted the dropdown list, both of them are contact columns. Of course I want to keep the mails dropdown to avoid typing errors.

Any idea of how i can fix this?

Answers

• Julie Fortney
    Julie Fortney Overachievers

Hi @Thibaut

I tried this scenario on a test sheet and my values recorded to the sheet. There must be something else going on with your sheet.

Does the sheet activity log provide any clues? Look to see what happens when the user's update request records to the sheet. Here's what I see when I submit a new Validator 2 and Validator 3 via an Update Request. I'm curious if you see that all of the expected values record to the sheet, but then somehow get deleted.

Also, check your workflow automation to make sure there are no workflows that might be clearing that cell.

Feel free to reach back out if this doesn't reveal the problem.

www.linkedin.com/in/juliefortney-pmp-smartsheetpartner-lssblackbelt

• Hi @Julie Fortney

Thanks for your response. I checked the activity log and there's nothing that changes the value of the cell back to blank.

I filled another form send to just with 1 validator. (I changed the 5 to 1 in number of validators)

Then this one validator sends an update request to add of 4 more validators

As i mentioned when i delete my dropdown contact list in Validator 3, the value is written on the cell but for all the other validators (2,4,5) it stays blank. Validator 1 is also wrritten since it is filled in the form.

• Julie Fortney

@Thibaut

What happens if you try to duplicate this issue on another sheet? Try creating a new sheet with just a few columns (including the Validator columns) and send yourself some test update requests from that new sheet. Does it behave the same way, even on a simplified sheet?

I'm curious about the complexity of your current sheet. Sometimes even if you aren't exceeding established row, cell, and cross-sheet reference limits, Smartsheet can't handle the complexity of big sheets. I recently tried to add a simple automation to a complex sheet, and it just couldn't handle it. The automation didn't run, and new form entries only recorded to the sheet about 30% of the time. I contacted Support and their response was that the sheet just couldn't handle it. I had to remove the new automation to reduce the complexity enough for the sheet to function.

• Hi @Julie Fortney

The problem was email addresses that contained cap letters, I just put them all in lowcase, reinserted my contacts and problem solved, thank you for your time and support.

Have a great day!

• Julie Fortney

@Thibaut - that is really strange! I am glad you brought this up; I learned something new!