Workflow & Run Now

Pamela Wagner
Pamela Wagner ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm working on a sheet with some pretty simple notifications that will alert when a symbol changes to red. I thought I would try using the Run Now feature that (sort of) worked. I say "sort of" since there were issues:

1) My notification should have only alerted on those rows that changed red and notified me as the contact in the Assigned To field. I received a notification on all of my items in the sheet and not just the one that turned red. Why is it showing all of my rows and not the ones that just have the red dot?

2) Turns out everyone on the sheet in the Assigned To field received the notification and they did not have the red dot in any of their rows! Why would everyone have a notification when their rows did not comply with the criteria of needing the red dot?

3) The notification is active and should have sent the alert when it triggered not just when I use the Run Now but I only received the alert when I used Run Now. Why did I not receive an alert just based on it triggering?

Here is my notification:

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can you provide a screenshot of the automation builder that shows everything?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Pamela Wagner
    Pamela Wagner ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome below is how the notification is set up. Note that the condition(1) was just added since when I was running some different iterations I noticed that this was giving me the correct response but I know (and I've seen colleagues) other notifications without that condition have worked correctly (that is, we only have the top portion with the trigger and red dot as the only condition).

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Without the condition... Does anyone else receive the alert when it changes without you having to "Run Now"?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Pamela Wagner
    Pamela Wagner ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome - I actually saved off the sheet and removed everyone so I could keep testing. I ran it this morning with a couple people and the person who I did not assign a red dot to did NOT get the notification. But I still don't understand what happened yesterday - everyone was getting updates stating that things changed but I was only working on a couple specific rows so for everyone else, their rows should not have changed and therefore they should not have received the notification.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try double checking the cell history on a couple of those rows that shouldn't have sent but did. I wonder if the "Run Now" picked up on the fact that it HAD been red in the past and sent out the notification.

Are you still not receiving the alert when you trigger it in sheet (not run now)?

10xViz.com

• Pamela Wagner
    Pamela Wagner ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No, I have not received any other notifications, it did not send one as a regular triggered notification. Re: other people getting the notifications if there had been a red dot in the past. Nope - the only red dots that I put in were those couple of rows that I was specifically testing on. Now for some of the rows, I had made updates to the sheet but not in those specific columns as they did not apply.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Sending to rows that it shouldn't have: I would suggest reaching out to Support.

Not sending to you: Double check your personal settings.

10xViz.com

• Pamela Wagner
    Pamela Wagner ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Paul! Appreciate the thoughts!