Sharing a report without accessing to the sheet?

Hey community,

is there a way to share a report with someone without share the complete sheet behind that reports?

Regards

Christian

Best Answer

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/23/23 Answer ✓

Hi @ChrisNHS,

ok, so they need to be able to edit data they see in the report?

And you don't want them to be able to see the whole source sheet?

Depending on your actual use case there are some options. As Sing Chen already wrote, you could use the premium add-on "Dynamic View". It allows to create views onto your data with totally individual edit rights. Makes sense only, if you use this not just for one person but for let's say a sales organisation where people from various locations should work on a HQ sales sheet without access to the data from other people.

You could probably build a WorkApp. WorkApps usually also require extra license cost.

If the data in your report shows a set of rows from your source sheet that does not change (e.g. a part of a bigger project plan), then you could use a sheet with duplicates of those rows, link the cells from the original sheet to the duplicate and make the duplicate the source of your report. Place it where the report user has access and there you go.

Hope some of this makes sense for you.

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ChrisNHS

I hope you're well and safe!

There are multiple ways, but do they only need to view it, or do they need to be able to edit it?

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sing C
    Sing C ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ChrisNHS, not directly. The following help article gives details. This section here:

However, the article does go on to say that you can do it by publishing the report and sharing the "publish" link or by inserting the report as a widget into a dashboard.

Another option is to build a Dynamic View (DV) using the report as the source of the DV. Note: DV is a premium add-on so depending on your plan, it may not be available to you.

I hope that gives you some options to explore.

Let me know how it goes or if I can help further.

Thanks!

Sing Chen

Process Architect, Dayforce

LinkedIn

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ChrisNHS,

if you want that person just to be able to see the report, you could use the publish feature and send him/her the link.

Hope this helps?

Stefan

• HeyAndrèe,

I am safe, I hope you too.

Yes, the also be able to edit the data in the report.

Regards

Christian

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisNHS

Glad to hear it, and I am too!

You'd have to use either one of the following Premium Apps.

• Dynamic View
    • WorkApps

Would that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/23/23 Answer ✓

Hi @ChrisNHS,

ok, so they need to be able to edit data they see in the report?

And you don't want them to be able to see the whole source sheet?

Depending on your actual use case there are some options. As Sing Chen already wrote, you could use the premium add-on "Dynamic View". It allows to create views onto your data with totally individual edit rights. Makes sense only, if you use this not just for one person but for let's say a sales organisation where people from various locations should work on a HQ sales sheet without access to the data from other people.

You could probably build a WorkApp. WorkApps usually also require extra license cost.

If the data in your report shows a set of rows from your source sheet that does not change (e.g. a part of a bigger project plan), then you could use a sheet with duplicates of those rows, link the cells from the original sheet to the duplicate and make the duplicate the source of your report. Place it where the report user has access and there you go.

Hope some of this makes sense for you.

Stefan

• Thank you for your answers.

Yes, they need to abke to edit the data.

Yes, the idea is not to share the source sheet.

At least I understood it, I can either do it via dynamic view or via WorkApps. Both mean additional licenses.

Regards

Christian

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisNHS

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisNHS

You might already have access to WorkApps.

Licensed users on Enterprise have access.