Blank Field Not Displaying on a Dashboard Widget

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to create a pie chart on a dashboard that shows Project Types. We have 4 types in a drop down field in the sheet. As a default, when a row is added the field is blank.

I built a report that summarizes that field and on the report it shows "Blank" but it won't pick it up on the chart, but I want it to.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Nicole.Miller
    Nicole.Miller ✭✭✭
    edited 02/24/23 Answer ✓

I don't know if this is the best way or most efficient, but this is how I handle these.

Using the sheet summary, you can write formulas to search that column to find any type 1, 2, 3, 4, or blank. For this to work, you need to have another always-filled column, like a project name column. Otherwise, it also counts rows that you are not currently using. Then use a summary report to pull all those numbers, then feed that into your pie chart.

=COUNTIFS([Project Name]:[Project Name], <> "", [Project Type]:[Project Type], "")

This formula will count all the projects with the name column filled in, but the type is blank.

Answers

• Nicole.Miller
    Nicole.Miller ✭✭✭
    edited 02/24/23 Answer ✓

I don't know if this is the best way or most efficient, but this is how I handle these.

Using the sheet summary, you can write formulas to search that column to find any type 1, 2, 3, 4, or blank. For this to work, you need to have another always-filled column, like a project name column. Otherwise, it also counts rows that you are not currently using. Then use a summary report to pull all those numbers, then feed that into your pie chart.

=COUNTIFS([Project Name]:[Project Name], <> "", [Project Type]:[Project Type], "")

This formula will count all the projects with the name column filled in, but the type is blank.

• ErinM
    ErinM ✭✭

awesome, thank you!!