Link project progress with master file

EdsonCrz94
edited 02/24/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I have a doubt about cells linking, probably for many of you this will be simple but to me… it's another story.

I've created a project's master sheet in a workspace in Smartsheet which we use to manage new projects, an online form feeds this file. Each time a new project is created, we assign it a unique ID. After the project (row) passes the approval process, we (the PMO team) creates a folder with a project plan and other sheets. Between those, we have one that retrieves data from the master file using MATCH and INDEX once we type the project ID in it.

However, what I want to do is to do it in the other direction, retrieving the project %, start date, end date and if possible the dashboard link such as the project plan link.

Hope this is possible.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You would have to create those cell links after the new project has been created. This is a perfect use case for Control Center.

If you do not have access to that, one work-around I have used is to create some hidden helper columns off to the right of the sheet. Once column for each data point you want to cell link. Then you can use cell references in the top row to pull the data you want linked from the main portion of the sheet (typically vertical) and have it replicated horizontally across the top row of those helper columns.

From there you can quickly cell link "in bulk" by selecting all of the cells in your summary sheet, following the usual process for creating a cell link, then selecting all of the cells in the top row of your helper columns.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com