Column lock properties not copying to reports created by other users

I have a strange issue with locked columns in sheets transferring to reports. I have a single database sheet with a large majority of columns locked so only I can edit as the sheet admin. There are a handful of columns my team can edit, but generally I make most of the edits and they just reference the information.

Occasionally, members of my team will build reports off this sheet for their own purposes [i.e. they only need to see a few of the columns at once or want to have a specific filter]. However, what we have found is that when another user creates the report, they are able to edit the columns that are locked for them on the source report. I'm not sure if this is because they are now the owner of the report, so they have admin permissions?

Is there a way to stop this? I cannot remove editing permissions from the underlying sheet, and the team needs to be able to customize their own reports from the source sheet. I just need to ensure the locked columns stay locked when they create their own reports.

Thank you!

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

They should not be able to edit locked cells even through a report if they do not have Admin or Owner permissions on the SOURCE sheet. The way it is SUPPOSED to work is the lowest permission is applied.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• @Paul Newcome I thought that was the case too but everyone else only has "Editor - Can Share" permissions or lower on the source sheet. I just tested it with my colleague and she was able to change locked columns on a report she created [which of course she is the owner on that report, since she created it]. I'm just not sure what other settings or things could be causing that.

• Hey @Misty Antonacci

I've been able to replicate what you're seeing: Editors can update cells in sheet-locked columns if they're an Admin or Owner of the Report. I've checked in with our Support team and they confirmed this is an unexpected behaviour that they're aware of and investigating at this time. I don't have an ETA for when this may be resolved.

In the meantime, column formulas or cell-links cannot be edited via Reports. Would it be possible for you to have a second sheet with the columns you want to keep locked, then bring those in to this source sheet using INDEX(MATCH or a cell link instead?

I hope this helps!

Genevieve

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. Thank you for confirming that it is unexpected behavior. Hopefully it gets corrected soon. 🤞

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• @Genevieve P. Thank you for confirming it's a known issue! I think the cell links will cause too much complexity and confusion for the team. I'm not as concerned about them actively changing the data they shouldn't, more just of them making accidental changes. I've asked them to try to remember to transfer ownership to me after they've created what they need to try and cut down on issues, and I have a workflow with a daily digest of all changes just to monitor [thankfully we don't have to change things on the sheet often]. Hopefully it's fixed soon!!