Copying data from Excel with blank cells messes up format

Hi,

I am trying to copy data from an excel spreadsheet to a Smartsheet template. Not all of the cells in the excel spreadsheet are filled out, and so when I copy the info to Smartsheet, it messes up those rows with some empty cells, and moves the data to the wrong columns. How do I fix it so that doesn't happen?

Thank you.

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mary Rose Vogt, I haven't had an issue with blank cells messing up a copy/paste -- I went and did a few tests and I couldn't duplicate. If this is one large Excel spreadsheet (but under 20K lines), would it be helpful to just upload the entire sheet, then cut and paste from the Smartsheet upload? Or even just use that?

To upload an Excel sheet, just go File | Import | Import Excel Sheet

This might give you the opportunity to populate with formulas, but even if you are still copying and pasting, you might have better luck going from one Smartsheet to another.

Let me know if this helps, and please flag this post if I answered your question! Good luck!

• Hi and thank you for the suggestion, Lucas.

I had thought of importing it to another sheet and then copying from there. I wondered if there were an easier way. I am still not sure why C&P doesn't record the empty cells and moves stuff around. I might have to investigate the Excel sheet further.

• Hi, I imported the data into a blank Smartsheet and it came in fine, but when I try to copy it to the IT template sheet, it mixes up the columns again. I would paste column by column if it let me but I don't know how to do that. So far I haven't been able to.

Suggestion?