Using {{@mention}} in the body of an Alert Message

I have created an Alert from an Automation that will always notify Team Member #1 based on a specific value changing in a cell. We also need to alert a secondary team member. The secondary team member's email ID is in a column (EMP ID) that is dynamic (different, based on other values on the row).

I am using "@{{EMP ID}}" within the body of the automation's message, where "EMP ID" is a text formatted column containing fully qualified email IDs.

I have also tried "{{EMP ID}}" when the "@" has been added to the front of email ID in the cell.

I would like the notification to be received by the secondary team member in Teams ONLY. Smartsheet for Teams is being used by everyone in the test and messaging is enabled (see below).

The functionality is sporadic at best since I have only successfully gotten it work twice after many, many tests and when it did work, the notification was received several hours after the action.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @LWright

I haven't actually seen workflows and Team @mentions being used in this way before; I'm not surprised that it doesn't always pick up the correct @mention as I would expect Teams would need it to be typed within their own platform versus being sent through something else. (For example, if you copy/pasted the @username from a notepad into a Teams chat instead of typing it out in the chat itself).

In this instance I would recommend changing the action block to send to that user as well. It does mean they'll receive the notification in their email as well as in Teams though.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @LWright

I haven't actually seen workflows and Team @mentions being used in this way before; I'm not surprised that it doesn't always pick up the correct @mention as I would expect Teams would need it to be typed within their own platform versus being sent through something else. (For example, if you copy/pasted the @username from a notepad into a Teams chat instead of typing it out in the chat itself).

In this instance I would recommend changing the action block to send to that user as well. It does mean they'll receive the notification in their email as well as in Teams though.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• LWright
    LWright ✭✭✭

Thanks, Genevieve.

Looks like we will have to resort to creating multiple instances of the same action with varying

• LWright
    LWright ✭✭✭

Sorry...might complete response above did not go throught.

We will resort to creating separate automation for each individual even though the body of the message will be the same.