Automatically Make Job Assignments based on turn and region

DrewSwick
DrewSwick ✭✭
edited 03/08/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I am looking to automatically assign one of two employees based on their region and which one of them had the prior assignment. So basically, if it is in their region, they take turns receiving the assignment. I have set up a contact column, "Employee" (Contact column), "Row ID" (system column), and "Region" (dropdown list). Any guidance would be appreciated!

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @DrewSwick

Ah my apologies, it does make a difference that you don't have the same criteria for your employees.

In this instance, I would set up multiple "Assign Next" columns - one for each region:

=IF(Region@row = "Canada", INDEX(COLLECT(Employee:Employee, Region:Region, Region@row, COUNT:COUNT, MIN(COLLECT(COUNT:COUNT, Region:Region, Region@row))), 1))

Then you would need to set up multiple workflows, each to check the correct columns:

Does that make sense / will that work for you?

If not, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your sheet set-up (but block out sensitive data) and an explanation of how many total employees you will want to auto-assign.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• DrewSwick
    DrewSwick ✭✭
    Answer ✓

This got it done for me. Thank you so much!

Answers

• Hi @DrewSwick

Take a look at my first response to this other thread:

Let me know if this type of solution would work for you! If you still need help, it would be useful to see a screen capture of your current sheet and the formulas you've used, but please block out sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• That doesn't quite get me there. That allowed me to get to the point of assigning someone, but since it is using the minimum function, the same person gets assigned to all regions, including those they don't work in. Is there a conditional minimum function?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @DrewSwick

Ah my apologies, it does make a difference that you don't have the same criteria for your employees.

In this instance, I would set up multiple "Assign Next" columns - one for each region:

=IF(Region@row = "Canada", INDEX(COLLECT(Employee:Employee, Region:Region, Region@row, COUNT:COUNT, MIN(COLLECT(COUNT:COUNT, Region:Region, Region@row))), 1))

Then you would need to set up multiple workflows, each to check the correct columns:

Does that make sense / will that work for you?

If not, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your sheet set-up (but block out sensitive data) and an explanation of how many total employees you will want to auto-assign.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• DrewSwick
    DrewSwick ✭✭
    Answer ✓

This got it done for me. Thank you so much!