Automation email combined all emails to the same client.

Brock
Brock ✭✭
edited 03/07/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Good afternoon Sir/Madam,

I found out the issue why my clients are not getting my automation emails. I have enabled custom domain and the problem is as follow and I'm wondering if there is a fix for it:

• There is a list of 150 rows of data and some of these rows have the same contact (email). Once a field is trigger to send automation, it appears that the email was combined with ALL of the information within 1 email. This can make the email super long as our text is already enough for 1 email. I believe this is why my email never get to the client. Is there a way for these email to be separate from each other and not combined?

thank you.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Brock

Hourly or Daily notifications would send one email with all rows that were triggered in that hour or day. There isn’t a way to split out individual rows into individual emails with that timing.

If you use placeholders in the body of your email, as well as the “when triggered” timing (and you’re not only sending text, so you’re sending some of the fields from the row as well), then yes! The automation will send individual emails when 6 or fewer rows are triggered in the same 5 minutes, even if they’re going to the same person. Does that help clarify notification behaviour?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Hi @Brock

You are correct: if multiple rows are triggered at the same time going to the same contact, these rows will all be grouped into one email for that person.

You can split out notifications by using placeholder values in the email subject or body, as long as there are 6 or fewer notifications going to the same recipient.

However, once you hit 7 notifications to the same recipient, these will be grouped again.

Here's more information: Customize the content of your alerts and requests

Please also feel free to submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Brock
    Brock ✭✭

Thank you Genevieve.

Is the placeholder values separate each email notifications? As long as we are 6 or fewer notifications, we are okay? Would this be resolved if we change the Workflow from "When triggered" to "hourly"/"daily"?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Brock

Hourly or Daily notifications would send one email with all rows that were triggered in that hour or day. There isn’t a way to split out individual rows into individual emails with that timing.

If you use placeholders in the body of your email, as well as the “when triggered” timing (and you’re not only sending text, so you’re sending some of the fields from the row as well), then yes! The automation will send individual emails when 6 or fewer rows are triggered in the same 5 minutes, even if they’re going to the same person. Does that help clarify notification behaviour?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Brock
    Brock ✭✭

Yeb! I think what happened was that I remove the row from the notifications and only send message. This is why it combined all my notifications. Still, too bad that we can't do more than 6 because I have a bunch that I want to send at the same time to the same contact.

If there is a way around this, please share. :)

Thank you

• Hi @Brock

Ah yes. If you're only sending a message, without any row fields visible, then the automation will group all rows together that are triggered around the same time to the same person.

See the bullet points under the section Tips for working with placeholders in this Help Article.

The way around this would be to include fields and add placeholders, making sure you're not triggering more than 6 rows at one time.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Brock
    Brock ✭✭

Hi @Genevieve P.

My goal was to be able to copy and paste "YES" to a column with 150+ rows at the same time to trigger the notification. This would be an issue if I have 6+ rows with the same contact. I believe this is why the contact never got our notification. I'm trying to find a solution where this can be accomplished. :)