Formula to count days, excluding weekends and holidays

Hello,

I am looking for a solution to the following problem;

[START DATE] - [COMPLETED DATE] = [DAYS]

I need the days column to calculate the days a project took...which seems simple enough, but I have a [holidays] column that I want to exclude from the count if the dates fall in this range and I need to exclude weekends.

I only want to count the working days.

I tried using the project settings to do this, but it messed up my sheet and is auto-populating the completed date. Not sure if i did it wrong.

Thanks for any help

Nat

Answers

• Nat O
    Nat O ✭✭

Sorry i wrote that incorrectly, it should be [Completed Date] - [Start Date]

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Nat O

I hope you're well and safe!

Try something like this.

=NETWORKDAY([START DATE]@row, [COMPLETED DATE]@row, [HOLIDAY DATES]:[HOLIDAY DATES])

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Nat O
    Nat O ✭✭

Thanks Andree, it didnt quite do the trick. I believe the reason being, my holiday dates are not in line with each relevant entry. I am dealing with hundreds of rows and to work out if a holiday falls into each start and completion date would be quite laborious to do manually. The holiday dates are just a sitting in a column, not aligned to anything and i am hoping i can reference them, perhaps with a vlookup to exclude from the count?

This is sounding complicated as I write it out.

Nat

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nat O

Happy to help!

It should work if you have all the dates in a Holiday column.

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Nat O
    Nat O ✭✭

Thanks for persevering @Andrée Starå

It was easier to quickly replicate how it looks in excel . Does this help?

So the holidays are not "in-line" with the start and end dates they apply to, its just a list of dates i want to exclude.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!