Generate a Contact from 2 columns like Name and Email-adress

Hi Community,

I've a list over 10.000 contcats in Excel. Within that list there are always the Name and the Email adress available.

How can I import these contats to single column type "Contact" with the name and the email included?

I need this to use that column in workflows.

Any idea?

Thanks Kay

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@KROnline

See this article on importing contacts: Managing Contacts and read this whole thread.

Essentially, you need a csv file with First Name, Last Name, and Email Address columns.

Keep in mind, you can only import 1,000 contacts at a time; if you have 10,000 contacts you want to import, you'll need 10 csv files of 1000 contacts or fewer in each.

Once your 10,000 contacts are set up, the tricky part is listing them all in a column. The thread above has some options.

The other option is using the API to either create rows in an empty sheet that has a Contact List column, or updating rows in a contact list column in a populated sheet. That's a complicated venture as well, but you can do it with free software such as Postman.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• @Jeff Reisman

Thanks Jeff. It works in some cases. The import itself can be done completely via Excel Files.

Then I proceeded as follows:

1) Insert an additional column with type "Text/Number" with your function.

2) Copy an additional column "Text/Number" with the values of the first column.

3) Then change the second column from "Text/Number" to the "Contact" type.

Unfortunately only 40% of all values are converted correctly. For the others the name is lost and the cell contains after converting only the email-adress.

Why this is so, no idea. Do you have an idea?