problem with a status column

Hello

I'm not very experienced with Smartsheet and I have a problem with a status column.

In one page I have a column that is filled through a drop down menu and that is called "First decision". ( 2 choices : rejected or interview)

I have an other column that I would like to be a status column. I called it "status" but I don't know if it's really a status column. I create it as "symbol" option with 3 colors.

My problem is that it doesn't work with the automation. I would like that when in a cell of "First decision column" I put one value with the drop down menu, a specific color appears in the same line in "status" column.

For this automation I operate in that way :

• create workflow from scratch
  • trigger : when rows are added or changed
  • when "First decision" changed to "rejected"
  • select an action - change cell value - change cell value in
  • I have to chose in a drop down menu but the problem is that there's not in that drop down menu the "status" column.

So I don't know how to manage it.

Thank you for your help

Azur

Best Answer

• J Tech
    J Tech ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @AZUR

When creating a workflow automation in Smartsheet, you can only select columns that have a data type that can be modified with an automation action. Since the "status" column is set to the "Symbol" data type, it cannot be modified with the "Change cell value" action.

To achieve the desired automation, you could consider using conditional formatting instead of the "Symbol" column to display the color based on the value in the "First decision" column.

Here are the steps to create this automation:

1. Select the "Status" column and click on the "Conditional Formatting" button.
    2. In the conditional formatting dialog, select "Format cells when" and choose "Custom formula is".
    3. Enter the following formula in the text box: =IF([First decision]@row = "Rejected", "red", IF([First decision]@row = "Interview", "yellow", ""))
    4. Choose the color you want to display for each condition and click "Save".

This will set the color of the cell in the "Status" column based on the value in the "First decision" column. If the value is "Rejected", the cell will be red; if the value is "Interview", the cell will be yellow; and if there is no value or another value, the cell will have no color.

Regards

J Tech

If my response has helped you in any way or provided a solution to your problem, please consider supporting the community by marking it as Insightful, Vote Up, or Awesome. Additionally, you can mark it as the accepted answer, which will make it easier for others to find a solution or get help with a similar issue in the future. Your support is greatly appreciated!

Answers

• J Tech
    J Tech ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @AZUR

When creating a workflow automation in Smartsheet, you can only select columns that have a data type that can be modified with an automation action. Since the "status" column is set to the "Symbol" data type, it cannot be modified with the "Change cell value" action.

To achieve the desired automation, you could consider using conditional formatting instead of the "Symbol" column to display the color based on the value in the "First decision" column.

Here are the steps to create this automation:

1. Select the "Status" column and click on the "Conditional Formatting" button.
    2. In the conditional formatting dialog, select "Format cells when" and choose "Custom formula is".
    3. Enter the following formula in the text box: =IF([First decision]@row = "Rejected", "red", IF([First decision]@row = "Interview", "yellow", ""))
    4. Choose the color you want to display for each condition and click "Save".

This will set the color of the cell in the "Status" column based on the value in the "First decision" column. If the value is "Rejected", the cell will be red; if the value is "Interview", the cell will be yellow; and if there is no value or another value, the cell will have no color.

Regards

J Tech

If my response has helped you in any way or provided a solution to your problem, please consider supporting the community by marking it as Insightful, Vote Up, or Awesome. Additionally, you can mark it as the accepted answer, which will make it easier for others to find a solution or get help with a similar issue in the future. Your support is greatly appreciated!