Sharing Live Data Connector

Options

Hi All,

I may have missed it in the documentation, but wanted to confirm. If I establish a live data connection with the ODBC integration, can other users in my organization access the connector, or will they also need to download the driver and configure the integration settings as well?

Ideally I would just be able to set it up once, then team members can connect directly to the data source that I've established without the technical bits of ODBC wizard.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Chris Mondeau I wouldn't do it that way - as a shared SystemDSN - because then everyone is connecting using your credentials. So they have access to everything you have access to.

They should install the driver themselves, and either set up their own DSNs with their own credentials (it's not very difficult - a few screenshots in a simple user guide is all you need to give them,) or use a DSN-less connection string with their own credentials.

DSN-less connection string (works as long as the machine running the connection has the driver installed):

odbc:Driver={Smartsheet Live Data Connector};Server:Smartsheet:Smartsheet user id email;OPTIONS=8188; TYPERULE=0; PATHNAME=1;Uid=Smartsheet user id email;Pwd=Smartsheet pw;

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Chris Mondeau
    Chris Mondeau ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks Jeff, appreciate the insight!

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Chris Mondeau I wouldn't do it that way - as a shared SystemDSN - because then everyone is connecting using your credentials. So they have access to everything you have access to.

They should install the driver themselves, and either set up their own DSNs with their own credentials (it's not very difficult - a few screenshots in a simple user guide is all you need to give them,) or use a DSN-less connection string with their own credentials.

DSN-less connection string (works as long as the machine running the connection has the driver installed):

odbc:Driver={Smartsheet Live Data Connector};Server:Smartsheet:Smartsheet user id email;OPTIONS=8188; TYPERULE=0; PATHNAME=1;Uid=Smartsheet user id email;Pwd=Smartsheet pw;

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Chris Mondeau
    Chris Mondeau ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks Jeff, appreciate the insight!