Is it possible to Update Cells in Both Sheets when they are Linked?

Options

What we are trying to do is use one sheet as a general project breakdown (Sheet 1). Within that project breakdown is a construction schedule. We want to make a second sheet that contains all the information in the Construction schedule section of sheet 1 and turn that into its own sheet (sheet 2). I know this is possible by either Copying the rows into a new sheet or linking the cells from sheet 1 into sheet 2 but this is where the question stems from.

Is it possible to have the cells set up so that if we updated information in sheet 1 it would be reflected in sheet 2 AND if the cells were updated in sheet 2 the information would be reflected in sheet 1? In other words the information entered into the cell in either sheet being shown in BOTH sheets? Is this possible?

Best,

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Martin T.

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now (at least not without using the Smartsheet API or similar), but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ZARA
    Options

hi @Andrée Starå

I have similar question, I have data mesh set up that transfer project ID, resource name and status from one sheet (sheet 1) to another sheet (sheet 2). But I need to make status update 2 way ( from sheet 2 to sheet 1 as well ) , I set another datamesh, but datamesh 1 always overwriting datamesh 2. Although I changed status in sheet 2, but after refreshing my sheet, I still see sheet 1 status in sheet 2.

sheet 1 : row 1--> project ID, resource name, status

sheet 2: row 1--> project ID, resource name, status

Data mesh 1: transfer entire row 1 (all 3 columns) from sheet 1 to sheet 2 (copy/add data- immediately)

Data mesh 2: transfer status of row 1 from sheet 2 to sheet 1 ( copy- immediately )

is there anyway to be able to update 2ways ( sheet 1 to 2 and sheet 2 to 1). in fact we want to be able to update status in any sheet and the other one update automatically.

thanks

Zahra

• Ivee
    Ivee ✭✭
    Options

Dear Andrée Starå , is there a plan to implement this?