Need workflow help

bmarie320
bmarie320 ✭✭✭✭
edited 03/23/23 in Formulas and Functions

I have been fighting with an approval workflow triggered by a new line, based on dollar ranges, and an established DOA (delegation of authority) hierarchy. Is someone able to help? Maybe a screen share session? Tell me what needs to be done to arrange that.

Thanks!

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @bmarie320

A screenshot of your approval workflow will be helpful. If you are able to share a screenshot of your data (or a mock up with fake data if data is sensitive), that is always helpful. I'm interested in how the approval process is triggered and what criteria (if any) you need to filter the rows that need approval.

Kelly

• bmarie320
    bmarie320 ✭✭✭✭

There is no way I can send that many applicable screenshots for all of the issues I'm having. I am triggering with a hidden field every time a new line item is received by form submission.

Form: Price Change Requests (smartsheet.com)

Main issues:

1. Cannot get "Submitted" to populate when requester submits form.
    2. Cannot get requester to receive notification of final approval at the end.
    3. Random workflows are being triggered. EX: Submission sent for $3001.00, workflow with conditions of $500.00-$2500.00 runs.

This would be much easier to work through in a meeting.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @bmarie320

Let's start working the issues one by one.

1. 'Submitted' on submission should come from settings within your form. You will want to select 'Submitted' as your default response in the form settings, if you haven't already. Then mark that field as HIDDEN in the form setting
    2. How will smartsheet know it's the final approval and not an intermediate approval? Do you have a trigger set that says done final?
  • bmarie320
    bmarie320 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, Kelly! :)

This is the DOA hierarchy for the approvals:

1. Worked for Level 1, <500. It did not work for Level 2 at 510.00. It did not do the last three commands AND triggered an entirely different workflow for Level 3 that has conditions in the trigger of between 2500.00 and 100000.00. The one I tested was for $510 so it should not have triggered that automation at all.

#2. No, I do not have a finishing trigger. I don't know what that is or how to implement it.

THANK YOU!

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/28/23

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!