Selecting the best template set

I am having trouble selecting the right template set - what is the difference between the Project Management Office template set and the Project Tracking and Rollup template set?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @LPelser

I would suggest starting with the Project Tracking and Rollup template set as it's easier to understand and implement.

This template only has one source sheet, which then feeds into 3 different reports (filtered views), rolling up into an example Dashboard.

You can create a Copy of the folder (with Save as New) if you want to create multiple Project Plans. It's a great set for a starting point.

However if you have some experience in Smartsheet, the Project Management Office (PMO) template set is more robust (and also more complex). It contains quite a few formulas and linked Smartsheet items.

There's an intake form that feeds into an Intake Sheet.

Once you have that intake information, you create a new folder by Saving as New for the Project sheet, Report, and Dashboard (this is similar to the other set, above).

All of your project folders roll into a Metric Sheet and high-level Dashboard.

As noted, I would first start with the simple Project Tracking set to start playing around with different features. If it's not complex enough for you (such as if you need to create multiple projects at one time that mirror each other in set-up), then try the PMO set.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @LPelser

I would suggest starting with the Project Tracking and Rollup template set as it's easier to understand and implement.

This template only has one source sheet, which then feeds into 3 different reports (filtered views), rolling up into an example Dashboard.

You can create a Copy of the folder (with Save as New) if you want to create multiple Project Plans. It's a great set for a starting point.

However if you have some experience in Smartsheet, the Project Management Office (PMO) template set is more robust (and also more complex). It contains quite a few formulas and linked Smartsheet items.

There's an intake form that feeds into an Intake Sheet.

Once you have that intake information, you create a new folder by Saving as New for the Project sheet, Report, and Dashboard (this is similar to the other set, above).

All of your project folders roll into a Metric Sheet and high-level Dashboard.

As noted, I would first start with the simple Project Tracking set to start playing around with different features. If it's not complex enough for you (such as if you need to create multiple projects at one time that mirror each other in set-up), then try the PMO set.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• LPelser
    LPelser ✭✭✭

Thank you Genevieve. It looks like the PMO template set would be better for our needs.