tracking project delays and history of delays

SML
SML ✭✭✭✭
edited 03/28/23 in Smartsheet Basics

We need to be able to track delays at the task level and have the whole history of delays with dates of delay, and why. I have an overall plan I use but is there a way that I can provide this information within each project plan and have it in a report widget in the Dashboard? What formula could I use? Please do not post the image below. Thank you!

Best Answer

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @SML,

in Smartsheet you can only have 1 active baseline at a time and historicization is not built in.

In addition to baselines you could also use the critical path feature. To be found and activated in the gantt view. This connects and marks all tasks with direct influence on the end date of the final task.

In your opening post you mentioned "history". If this means checking at multiple points in time (e.g. milestones) the delta between latest baseline and current situation, then you would need to save/duplicate the extra baseline columns every time you want to establish a new baseline.

With the values in the saved columns you could do some highlighting and reporting.

Hope this helps.

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

Answers

• Hi @SML

Have you looked in to the Baseline feature in Smartsheet? If you're using dependencies in your Project Sheets, you can add 3 columns to these sheets (Baseline Start date, Baseline Finish date, and Variance). These will then automatically show you the difference between the original dates set for that row and the current, actual dates.

Here's a free webinar on this feature: Keep Your Projects on Track with Baselines

Cheers,

Genevieve

P.S would you like the image from your post deleted?

• SML
    SML ✭✭✭✭

Yes please delete the image and thank you

• SML
    SML ✭✭✭✭

RE: the Baselines, I have a roll up plan which shows multiple start and end dates. Is there a way to highlight specific dates and baseline those without resetting everything? @Genevieve P.

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @SML,

in Smartsheet you can only have 1 active baseline at a time and historicization is not built in.

In addition to baselines you could also use the critical path feature. To be found and activated in the gantt view. This connects and marks all tasks with direct influence on the end date of the final task.

In your opening post you mentioned "history". If this means checking at multiple points in time (e.g. milestones) the delta between latest baseline and current situation, then you would need to save/duplicate the extra baseline columns every time you want to establish a new baseline.

With the values in the saved columns you could do some highlighting and reporting.

Hope this helps.

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• SML
    SML ✭✭✭✭

Thank you-very helpful!!