The last alert of my automation is not working, any ideas?

I have checked the automation settings and my personal settings. After I request an update to a field, I have added an alert to send an email message that captures information from two fields in the email after a specific field is no longer blank. Everything from the start of the process and going through the approval (it's an approve and deny setting) works except sending that last email. I tried erasing it and resetting it, thinking I had overcomplicated it. Is there something with using the {{brackets}} twice in the email that could cause an issue? Any ideas? Please help.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 04/04/23 Answer ✓

Hi @tschneider

Based on how your workflow is set up, the "Update Request" action is sent and then immediately afterwards the workflow checks the Condition Block. It doesn't wait for the Update to be complete before moving on.

This means that your Condition of "Final Payment" containing content may not be met if it needs to be completed with the Update Request.

What i would suggest doing here is set up a completely separate Alert workflow, using the Condition as a Trigger instead. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried breaking it out into a completely separate automation?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Automation has a variety that happens after an executive approves or declines. Can you break that out separately? Below is the workflow for just the approval. At one point, it worked until I added in a second item in brackets to pull from the sheet. Could the email be too long? I can try adding a separate automation.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 04/04/23 Answer ✓

Hi @tschneider

Based on how your workflow is set up, the "Update Request" action is sent and then immediately afterwards the workflow checks the Condition Block. It doesn't wait for the Update to be complete before moving on.

This means that your Condition of "Final Payment" containing content may not be met if it needs to be completed with the Update Request.

What i would suggest doing here is set up a completely separate Alert workflow, using the Condition as a Trigger instead. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• tschneider
    tschneider ✭✭
    edited 04/04/23

Thanks Everyone; I didn't realize it's running everything at once, and the best way is to separate out the conditions.