Calculate Start Date using a formula

Options

I want to calculate the Start Date of a task using a simple formula. This is the Start Date column that interfaces to Resource Management, so that task and calculated Start date will be populated on the Assign To person's outlook calendar. Everything works EXCEPT the Start Date field does not seem to allow entering a Formula? The only way I can get a date into the Start Date field is to directly enter it or Copy from another cell manually. Am I missing something? Is there a way to populate the Start Date field using a formula in the Start Date? I also tried using a Workflow to populate the Start Date, using the "Change Cell Value" action, but the Start Date was not available in the drop down on that workflow operation. Thank you.

Best Answers

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Greetings @Chadd,

If I understand your question correctly, you use a project schedule sheet where the start and finish date fields are auto-generated based on duration and any predecessors. You can not use a formula for these fields since they are auto-calculated as part of the project settings.

My suggestion would be to do the following:

Add a helper column named Auto Start Date or something that makes sense. Format as a date.

Insert the following formula in the column =[Start Date]@row

Concert to column formula.

These steps allow you to use the Start Date in communications or calendars.

I hope this helps.

Frank Smith, PMP

Assistant Director | IT Special Projects Mgr.

Oregon Parks & Recreation Department

If my response helps, please mark it as an accepted answer. 😎

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Chadd

You are correct; only the "official" start and finish date sync with Resource Management.

Syncing between Resource management is limited to the stock values from the project sheet.

I wish there were ways to add column values to sync with Resource Management, but that feature is unavailable. Yes, I have made an enhancement request for this feature.

Frank Smith, PMP

Answers

• Eric Law
    Eric Law ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Chadd,

You should be able to input a formula for a date field if you are a licensed admin/owner.

• Chadd
    Chadd ✭✭
    Options

I agree with you, and I am a licensed Admin on this particular Sheet. But the Start Date field will not allow me to enter a formula (aka, begin with "=" and then point to another date column). I get a pop up that says "This column is restricted to Dates". But I am pointing to a Date type column. I can "Copy" that same Date type column into the Start Date, and the date will show up, HOWEVER it is not the Formula from the copied column, just the resulting date.

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Greetings @Chadd,

If I understand your question correctly, you use a project schedule sheet where the start and finish date fields are auto-generated based on duration and any predecessors. You can not use a formula for these fields since they are auto-calculated as part of the project settings.

My suggestion would be to do the following:

Add a helper column named Auto Start Date or something that makes sense. Format as a date.

Insert the following formula in the column =[Start Date]@row

Concert to column formula.

These steps allow you to use the Start Date in communications or calendars.

I hope this helps.

Frank Smith, PMP

• Chadd
    Chadd ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I basically have done that with another column, and I'm able to calculate the date I need. But I also need that calculated date to migrate over to the Resource Management module. My understanding is that ONLY the "official" task Start and Finish dates will migrate over to RM. Is this correct a correct assumption?

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Chadd

You are correct; only the "official" start and finish date sync with Resource Management.

Syncing between Resource management is limited to the stock values from the project sheet.

I wish there were ways to add column values to sync with Resource Management, but that feature is unavailable. Yes, I have made an enhancement request for this feature.

Frank Smith, PMP

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!