Dynamic View & Notifications

Options
Gkoukakis
Gkoukakis ✭✭✭
edited 04/06/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello!

We have a project plan template with around 500 tasks and implemented for different projects. We have two contact columns: Assignee and Involved. We have built numerous notification workflows and also various reports to gather data from the various projects. The assignees (which most of them are free users) must be able to update their tasks (only their status and a comment column). Currently they can do it either via entering the Sheet that it is shared with them (we have made a filter to show them the tasks they are assigned to - which of course they can bypass), via the respective shared reports (again there is a filter to see their own tasks only) or via an update request which is triggered when the Start Date has passed and the status is still Not Started or when the End Date has passed and the Status is not Complete. They also receive various reminders for their tasks that are due, their tasks that are starting in the next 30 days and their tasks that will be due in the next 30 days.

However, management decided that we have to limit what each assignee or involved person can see in this project plan only to those tasks that they are involved. They must not be able to see the whole plan and what the rest are doing.

As we understand, this can be done only via the Dynamic View premium app.. because we want free users (assignees) to be able to update their tasks (otherwise we could use publishing reports only as Read only). The question is if via Dynamic View we can keep the Notification and Update request workflows that we already built by sharing only the respective assignee or involved view and without sharing the whole sheet. Because those workflows currently contain a link to the sheet itself which they can click and get access to the main work sheet.

In a nutshell, we want to be able to share a report dynamic view with the assignees with all their tasks from all their projects for the next e.g. 30 days (grouped as due, starting next 30d, ending next 30d, etc - this info is calculated already in a column). They have to be able to see only those tasks and nothing else. Moreover, we want to keep on sending them various built notifications via workflows. Examples:

• Inform assignees when a new task is assigned to them
  • Inform assignees biweekly for all their tasks starting or becoming due the next 30 days
  • Inform assignees 1 day before their task becomes due or 1 day before it should start
  • Inform assignees weekly for all the changes to their tasks (e,g. start date, duration, end date)
  • Request assignees to provide an update (via form) for their tasks that have started or became due and they have not updated the status (1 day after)

Any ideas/feedback from the people who are using Dynamic View with notifications/update requests? Many thanks!

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @tarrida

I hope you're well and safe!

Answering here as well to close it out.

Please see my comments/answers below.

With Dynamic View they will be able to see all data of the main sheet?

[Andrée Starå] They will only be able to see what you want them to see. You can also select if they should be able to edit or only view the data.

Do I have to remove these main sheet workflows to create new ones in Dynamic View?

[Andrée Starå] No, all workflows will still work, but one thing to keep in mind is that automatic links would not link to the Dynamic View, but the sheet, but you can select the message only option and add the link to the Dynamic View instead.

I'm working with a client now that we use Dynamic View as an advanced form with different stages, with alerts, and similar.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Gkoukakis

There are two options.

1. Dynamic View, and yes, all Workflows would still work, but of course, they would go to the Dynamic View instead to view it.
    2. WorkApps and a report set to the current user, but you'd need to acquire a Collaborator Pack or upgrade your account to the Advance package that includes Control Center and many other premium apps.

How many unlicensed users would need to have access to the solution?

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Gkoukakis
    Gkoukakis ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply @Andrée Starå.

We are looking to various options, including the Dynamic view or Smartsheet Advance. However, the main question that follows is ok lets say we get Dynamic View. Do we need to change the existing notification workflows? Currently the option "Links to Sheet and specific fields" is enabled and visible. After acquiring Dynamic View is any other option added? For example "Link to a Dynamic View"? Because we want the workflow to take them directly to where they can see this specific task and comment if needed instead of having to search for it (in this example we don't want to use Update form). Or at least we want them to see the relevant fields (now there is no separate option for Specific fileds only without the Links to sheet).

• tarrida
    tarrida ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Gkoukakis and @Andrée Starå ,

I have a similar doubt now. The problem is that I created workflows in the main sheet with alerts and requesting updates to suppliers.

I will acquire Dynamic View to only give access to suppliers to their own purchase orders assigned but first I wanna know what happened or how you solved that.

• With Dynamic View they will be able to see all data of the main sheet?
    • Do I have to remove these main sheet workflows to create new ones in Dynamic View?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @tarrida

Answering here as well to close it out.

Please see my comments/answers below.

With Dynamic View they will be able to see all data of the main sheet?

[Andrée Starå] They will only be able to see what you want them to see. You can also select if they should be able to edit or only view the data.

Do I have to remove these main sheet workflows to create new ones in Dynamic View?

[Andrée Starå] No, all workflows will still work, but one thing to keep in mind is that automatic links would not link to the Dynamic View, but the sheet, but you can select the message only option and add the link to the Dynamic View instead.

I'm working with a client now that we use Dynamic View as an advanced form with different stages, with alerts, and similar.

I hope that helps!

Best,

• Gkoukakis
    Gkoukakis ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello. Thanks @Andrée Starå for your help. We have purchased Smartsheet Advance and implemented the views.

@tarrida the situation is exactly as Andree described. When it comes to the link to the actual worksheet, you can leave that and if someone clicks on it it will open only if they have access to it granted.