Multiple workflows conflicts

I have 2 workflows on a sheet, and they are mutually exclusive. In other words, they both have a filter at the trigger level, so when new rows are added one should run (one condition is met) and not the other (as the condition is NOT met)

For some reasons, I am getting the last message of workflow B (which should NOT run), while workflow A runs correctly...

Answers

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Remember that the trigger portion of the automation is what kicks it off. Then the filter checks to see if your data qualifies/matches after the trigger has fired.

It’s difficult to offer any solid advice without seeing your data set and automation rules, but the above has tripped up many of my clients.

Ryan Sides

Smartsheet Tips and Tricks for Beginners and Advanced on LinkedIn and YouTube

Come Say Hello!

• Thanks Ryan. I can tell you a bit more.

I have 2 workflows A and B, on a sheet tracking Requests, and both workflows are approval seeking workflows. Basically different track owners are assigned the approval. Requestor then receives confirmation.

A is triggered when new rows are added and one field is equal to "Foo".

B is triggered when new rows are added and the same field is equal to "Bar"

Workflow A is complex and works great. Approvers get the email to approve/deny and requestor receives confirmation email. But requestor ALSO receives the one the confirmation email from Workflow B. But none of the rest of Workflow B is actually triggered...

• Hi @JP BAGEL

Are both of your workflows using Approval blocks? If so, it sounds like you may be using the same column to store the approval / rejection. This means that the second half of your B workflow is being triggered when the status is changed in that column from A.

To prevent this, I would suggest using different approval values for each of your workflows (or different columns), or you could add conditions after each approved / declined request that has the same filter as your triggers.

Here's more information: Approval workflow behavior

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now