Need a way to create graph that contains specific parent/child rows

Hey everyone,

One of my users has a sheet with a "Task" column that contains multiple parent/child rows. I'm trying to help him find a way to create a chart based on a specific parent/child row, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about this. I was thinking of adding a helper column in, but I'm still lost on how I'd separate out the data for the chart....for example, we want to make a chart based on "HRSS Prep & Planning" that only includes data from the child rows. In this case, the data would be by status.

As always, I appreciate any and all guidance. Thank you so much for your time.

Answers

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi there, your use of the helper column is the right way to go. Make a checkbox column and check on the rows you want to see in your report. Then build a report, point it to that sheet, and filter it by the Checkbox column you created.

Th only drawback is you'll lose the parent/child display in a report.

Is that what you were looking to display?

Ryan Sides

Smartsheet Tips and Tricks for Beginners and Advanced on LinkedIn and YouTube

Come Say Hello!

• Hey Ryan,

Thank you for your response! I'm not looking to build a report per say, but a pie chart that breaks down the status of everything under the "HRSS Prep & Planning" row. I reckon the check boxes will still help, I just need to figure out how to put it all together. If there is another way, please let me know. Thank you again, appreciate you!

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What do you want your pie chart to display? Pie charts are used to display #s or %s of different categories.

Ryan Sides

Come Say Hello!

• Hey Ryan,

I'm looking to get the status for all the child rows under "HRSS Prep & Planning". Right now I made a helper column and checked off all of the children rows pertaining to that category. I then setup a new sheet with the following formula:

=COUNTIFS({HRSS Build - Project Plan Range 1}, 1, {HRSS Build - Project Plan Range 2}, "Not Started")

The first reference refers to the helper column I created, followed by the specific status I'm seeking. I made two other helper columns for each parent row in the "Tasks" column. I'm just not sure if there's a cleaner way to approach this, but it does give me the pie chart I'm looking for.

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like a winner to me! Glad it's working

Ryan Sides

Come Say Hello!

• Thanks for your help Ryan! :)