Automation Workflow Invalid

I have created a ticket system for our Engineering department to track production reported issues. There are a total of 25 individual workflows, but I have constant issues with just 2 of them.

The basic workflow:

1. User submits ticket via form.
  2. Ticket is logged with a status of "New".
  3. Tech is assigned and status will update to "Under Review" upon saving.
  4. Tech enters required information to process ticket and changes status to "Generate EDA".
  5. Automation generates document then changes status to "EDA Created".
  6. Automation will clear the "Generate Revision" checkbox.
  7. Tech reviews document then changes status to "EDA Distributed".
  8. Automation sends email notification based on contact lists.

This is where the issues come in. The document above is generated as RevA. If for some reason, the document needs revised, the following steps are performed:

1. Revision tech is assigned, Revision is changed to next character, and information updated accordingly.
  2. Revision tech checks "Generate Revision" checkbox and saves.
  3. Automation will carry this process back to step 4 above.

The two workflows that error out are "Generate EDA" and "Clear Revision Checkbox". The error is "This workflow was triggered by at least 5 other workflows, which exceeds the maximum allowed. Please modify the workflows that are interacting with this one so they don't trigger each other." I can re-enable and force them to run on the specific row, and they are fine, until the next time automation tries to trigger them. They work perfectly fine in the original creation, they only error out in the revision stage.

I'm not sure how to resolve this, since most of my workflows are status based. Due to Smartsheet constraints, there are some processes that use multiple workflows (recording a date stops all further workflow activity, not allowing additional tasks to be completed, for example).

Is this a case where I need to reconfigure my entire automation process? Should I instead submit a ticket with Smartsheet to possibly have them look at this?

Best Answer

• Phil E
    Phil E ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I spent some time and reviewed my workflows. I was able to remove 2 by either combining or re-configuring. The automation seems to be working properly now. I think I had some parallel tasks happening that Smartsheet wasn't liking.

Answers

• Phil E
    Phil E ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I spent some time and reviewed my workflows. I was able to remove 2 by either combining or re-configuring. The automation seems to be working properly now. I think I had some parallel tasks happening that Smartsheet wasn't liking.