Using DataMesh For Status Updates

Options

Hey all -

Looking for a little help here. I've been using a combination of DataMesh the Copy function in SmartSheets to make a copy of a row when it changes to a particular status. Let me illustrate what happens here.

I have two sheets connected to each other. Sheet 2 (below) does a vlookup to Sheet 1 to get the status (I need that for something else). Since the Copy function won't work on a formula, I have a separate DataMesh process run and stamp the value of the status in another column. When that hits complete, the row is then copied to a Data Processing sheet.

It works, but I want to modify it to only take the columns I need now, so I want to switch to DataMesh for everything. So the problem I'm having is how to do it the best way. We actually use two Complete statuses (Complete, Complete Revised) and the challenge is it can go into Complete Revised several times over, and I want separate records logged in another sheet every time that happens. So in the end the data would look like this:

I just can't come up with a way to tell DataMesh (or a Report Filter) that it's a new record and to add it into the other sheet.

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Mike Rini

If I'm understanding you correctly, the issue here is that your Unique ID is the same, but you want multiple versions of that same ID copied over to your other sheet instead of meshing data onto the same row with the ID.

You could potentially use a different, helper column as your Unique matching column (e.g. the "ID" + the Status) however if the status will sometimes be the same (e.g. "Complete Revised") then DataMesh won't copy over that duplicate information either. It's built to eliminate duplicates.

In this case I would actually suggest using the Copy Row automation instead of DataMesh, so that you can have duplicates. If the issue is all the extra columns that aren't needed in your second sheet, could you work from a Report that excludes those columns instead?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Mike Rini
    Options

Thanks @Genevieve P. Yeah, I was using the Copy function for exactly that reason. The problem is, it takes all of the columns (and I only need a subset). It's the perfect solution if I could control which columns copy over.

Appreciate your response / thoughts.

Mike

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Mike Rini

Yes, you're right. Currently the copy row workflow copies the entire row, and you would need to hide the unnecessary columns in the destination sheet.

Please add your vote and voice to this Product Idea thread that's expressing interest in a copy partial row feature, here: Copy and move selective columns

Thanks!

Genevieve