Using Help Text for Update Requests

I understand how to use automated update requests, which is great, but when the update is sent it only shows the column headings. Can I include "help text" like I can in forms when sending an update request or, alternatively, include the column description in update requests?

Example: I use forms to gather information into a sheet. The column header may be something like, "Data Types." But the form includes "help text" for that field to describe how to use the field (e.g., Describe the types of data that your organization collects on our behalf"). Because I want an update on this next year, I set up automated updates. But the update request only provides the recipient "Data Types" with their previous answer and no context or "help text" to understand the field.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Tammy Fanara

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

You can add so-called helper columns for each helper text and include the text by using column formulas on each row and then lock the column and include it in the Update Request.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.