Scheduled Smartsheet Backup Fails to Download

Ruth Schoonover
Ruth Schoonover ✭✭✭
edited 06/06/24 in Smartsheet Basics

We are a Business Plan customer but I don't think we pay for additional support. Because of this I apparently can't talk to anyone at Smartsheet on the phone. We have submitted multiple help tickets on this issue. Most have been ignored, one was answered with a standard response that didn't come close to helping resolve the issue. Hoping this communication will provide better results.

Two of us at the System Admin level of our account have weekly backups scheduled for all the sheets we own. This provides us with an email weekly with a download link. It worked wonderfully for the last 5+ years. Recently, I cannot get the download to work unless I am totally logged out of Smartsheet. The other person is unable to get a successful download at all. It starts then fails.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Answers

• RebSchr
    RebSchr ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ruth - I have been doing backup's for 5+ years as well! I haven't had any issues with it failing - but I seem to have a lot of issues where the zip file is corrupted. This doesn't happen on all of my backup files. I had to delete the backup process (disable it) and then re-add it, wait a day, then request a backup file again to fix the corrupted file. I have also noticed that my backup notifications don't always come on the same day anymore or are no longer consistent in when they complete. I have several of them scheduled for weekly backups and 3 or 4 will be sent on the weekend, then the rest trickle in after Monday.

Have you tried to download it directly from SS and not the link that is emailed to you? If this doesn't work, I am also curious if others have been experiencing issues with backups as well.

Rebekah

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this comment is a yr old, but today, when trying to download the files from the emailed link, i am met with this very annoying "This website is classified as malicious" Microsoft Defender page (img below). This occurs on Firefox, Edge, Chrome, and Opera browsers on both my phone and laptop at work now. Although i can go to each of the workspaces (23 of them i have), and download them manually like you have shown above, the issue is that everytime new security measures are released globally, Smartsheets is slow on addressing their end of the software to work with those outside companies (Microsoft, Google, etc..). Maybe i am wrong and this issue is only occuring with our company (or links), but that is why i figured i would respond to this question/concern to see if others chime in with similar or exact issues themselves.

So as i wait for my companies IT team to respond to my request to allow / bypass this part of my job to download, i figured i would bring it up here to see if anyone else has similar/recent experiences so i can rule out person vs global issues.

To test this, i disabled any/all privacy, security add-ons, programs, etc. running on my laptop at work and both the link in the email and the link i manually copied from the email were giving me the warning. Since my phone is also used for work, and the emails are coming to my phone, the links are also now blocked on my android S24 phone, but on my 2023 Apple tablet they are not. Another test i did, was pull my backup emails i received the past year, manually copied and pasted all 12 links to my notepad on my computer (same backup folders name), to compare in the notepad (every character/spacing), and all 12 links were IDENTICAL. 😡

This leads me to believe this is a NEW security feature by MS Defender or something similar. If my IT dept. comes back and says this is safe as they did before, but requires Smartsheets to work with Microsoft again on their links to bypass these measures, then this will require Smartsheets to fix it and for us to manually download our backups till its addressed. let the waiting game begin….

Julie Becker ☠️

Construction Project Engineer / Coordinator & Software Program Oversight Mgr. 😉

Successful People Are Not Gifted; They Just Work Hard, Then Succeed On Purpose‼️