How do you calculate an average on a column that also contains "#Invalid Data Type" in some cells??

Options

I have a column of numbers (days duration) between two date columns but, in many cases, one of the dates may be missing which gives me an #Invalid Data Type entry in the column where I am averaging the days duration. Attempting to average the column, I don't know the syntax to skip over the #Invalid Data Type cells to only average the cell that contain numbers.

I've tried this approach but it doesn't seem to be working as I get a "#UNPARSEABLE" response to the formula.

=if([Total - Appl Compl to Bus Ready] >=0, AVG([Total - Appl Compl to Bus Ready]:[Total - Appl Compl to Bus Ready], "")

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You will need to use an IFERROR statement to get rid of that error from the original source data.

=IFERROR(original_formula, "")

• GMichal
    GMichal ✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/21/23
    Options

Thank you so much. I still have some type of context error as it is removing the #INVALID DATA TYPE entries as desired but it is also now clearing valid data out of the cells that have a duration in them.

Original Formula

=IF(NETWORKDAYS([Appl Compl Date]@row, [Business Ready Date]@row) >= 0, NETWORKDAYS([Appl Compl Date]@row, [Business Ready Date]@row) - 1, "")

Updated Formula

=IFERROR(=IF(NETWORKDAYS([Appl Compl Date]@row, [Business Ready Date]@row) >= 0, NETWORKDAYS([Appl Compl Date]@row, [Business Ready Date]@row) - 1, ""), "")

What am I missing?

• GMichal
    GMichal ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you so much. I still have some type of context error as it is removing the #INVALID DATA TYPE entries as desired but it is also now clearing valid data out of the cells that have a duration in them.

Original Formula

=IF(NETWORKDAYS([Appl Compl Date]@row, [Business Ready Date]@row) >= 0, NETWORKDAYS([Appl Compl Date]@row, [Business Ready Date]@row) - 1, "")

Updated Formula

=IFERROR(=IF(NETWORKDAYS([Appl Compl Date]@row, [Business Ready Date]@row) >= 0, NETWORKDAYS([Appl Compl Date]@row, [Business Ready Date]@row) - 1, ""), "")

What am I missing?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!