IF/VLOOKUP/INDEX/MATCH/COLLECT

Options
Kenny T.
Kenny T. ✭✭
edited 04/25/23 in Formulas and Functions

Hi all,

I have a weekly form that is required to be submitted each week a manager is in training through certification. I am working with two sheets: (1) MIT LLR (MASTER), which is sheet where all form submissions live and (2) MIT LLR Submission Tracker. The tracker sheet consists of 1 column that contains cell links to auto-populate each new manager after their start date, followed by multiple Week columns that contain check boxes to verify the form was submitted each week.

What I am looking for is a formula that will auto-check the applicable Week # column if the form was submitted for that week, but will leave blank if the manager missed a the week by referencing the Last Name and Week # in the MASTER sheet.

(1) MASTER

(2) Tracker

Best Answers

Answers

• Kenny T.
    Options

Update: I was able to figure out how to check the box based on the name using

=IFERROR(IF(INDEX({MIT Last Name}, MATCH([MIT Last Name]@row, {MIT Last Name}, 0)) <> "", 1, 0), 0)

but, cannot figure out how to add the week criteria, IF({Week},"Week 1" as an example to check off week 1 depending on the last name.

• Kenny T.
    Kenny T. ✭✭
    edited 04/25/23
    Options

Still trying, I made a helper sheet that has Week 1-10 per row in a single column to support the second part of the formula for LLR Week.

I am able to get the checkmarks for one week to work using this formula =IFERROR(IF(AND(INDEX({MIT#}, MATCH([MIT #]@row, {MIT#}, 0)) <> "", INDEX({LLR Week}, MATCH({Week 1}, {LLR Week}, 0)) <> ""), 1, 0), 0), however I can get it to differentiate by week.

• Kenny T.
    Options

Also tried =IFERROR(IF(AND(INDEX({MIT#}, MATCH([MIT #]@row, {MIT#}, 0)) <> "", INDEX({LLR Week}, MATCH({Week 1}, {LLR Week}, 0)) = "Week 1"), 1, 0), 0) but am getting inconsistent returns on the checks

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try an INDEX/COLLECT in place of the INDEX/MATCH.

INDEX(COLLECT({MIT Last Name}, {MIT Last Name}, [MIT Last Name]@row, {Week}, @cell = "Week 1"), 1)

• Kenny T.
    Options

Yay!!! It worked! Only thing is it returns the last name instead of a check. Totally ok with that, but would prefer the check

• Kenny T.
    Kenny T. ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Got it!

=IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT({MIT ID}, {MIT ID}, [MIT ID]@row, {MIT LLR Week}, @cell = "Week 1"), 1) <> "", 0)

• Kenny T.
    Kenny T. ✭✭
    edited 04/29/23
    Options

@Paul Newcome one more qq, the trainer is also supposed to submit a form each week relevant to their MIT, is there a way to add an AND statement that evaluates the above plus the LDL ID if the form was submitted? The sheet I want to pull the data from has references for both the MIT and LDL IDs.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Kenny T. My apologies. I didn't mean to use the INDEX/COLLECT as a stand alone. I meant to use your existing formula structure but replace each INDEX/MATCH with an INDEX/COLLECT.

As for your second question... I'm not sure I follow.

• Kenny T.
    Kenny T. ✭✭
    edited 05/02/23
    Options

@Paul Newcome, sorry I was a bit vague.

Below is the dual intake tracker that provides the weekly form validation + LDL & MIT IDs (side note - I create IDs using the auto-number option since folks may have the last name).

This sheet is where I would like to use a formula to auto-check the "WK # LDL LLR" columns using the criteria: (1) LDL ID (2) MIT ID (3) Week #

Below is the source sheet that populates the LDL form info post-submission that includes the criteria above.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was going back through the entire thread to try to piece together exactly what you are trying to accomplish, and I noticed exactly how your INDEX/COLLECT is working. Where are you putting that formula? If you are pulling the MIT ID based on a match with [MIT ID]@row, couldn't you just do

=[MIT ID]@row

and get the same results?

Second part: I would use a COUNTIFS to count how many rows match the various range/criteria sets then drop that in an IF statement to say that if it is greater than zero then check the box.

=IF(COUNTIFS(.............)>0, 1)

• Kenny T.
    Kenny T. ✭✭
    edited 05/02/23
    Options

The formula used in WK 2 MIT LLR validates MIT#017 submitted the Week 2 form, this formula works perfect for what I needed:

=IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT({MIT ID}, {MIT ID}, [MIT ID]@row, {MIT LLR Week}, @cell = "Week 2"), 1) <> "", 0)

I'm hoping I can do a similar formula for the WK 2 LDL LLR column, but since it is possible for an LDL to submit multiple forms in a given week for several MITs (i.e. LDL#008 will submit a weekly form for both MIT#17 & MIT#11), I need to ensure the check mark populates based on the LDL ID submitting and the applicable MID ID & Week #.

So if LDL#008 submits a form for MIT#011 + Week 2 (check) vs. if LDL#008 does not submit a form for MIT#17 + Week 2 (uncheck). Sorry this is so complicated @Paul Newcome, and I really do appreciate the help!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ok. I think I am understanding more now. Have you tried adding another range/criteria set to the COLLECT function to evaluate the LDL?

• Kenny T.
    Options

Yeah, but I wasn't sure how exactly to do that, and despite my many attempts I've been unsuccessful

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Got it. Ok. SO you would continue with the same syntax within the COLLECT function.

=IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT({MIT ID}, {MIT ID}, [MIT ID]@row, {MIT LLR Week}, @cell = "Week 2", {Range}, criteria), 1) <> "", 0)

=IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT({MIT ID}, {MIT ID}, [MIT ID]@row, {MIT LLR Week}, @cell = "Week 2", {LDL ID}, @cell = [LDL ID]@row), 1) <> "", 0)

• Kenny T.
    Options

AMAZING! YOU ARE A SMARTSHEET WIZARD!!!!! THANK YOU!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!