How can I make COUNTIF into a column formula?

I have been using a COUNTIF formula that I am unable to convert to a column formula. Is there a way that I can alter it so it can be a column formula? This is what I have:

And this is the message that pops up when I try to convert it to a column formula:

I like the current formula because it allows me to set up my Request ID like this:

Whereas, changing the formula to this =COUNTIF([LPS Function]:[LPS Function], "Content Management"), makes my Request ID's look like this:

I want to be able to use the formula that I currently have and be able to convert it to a column formula. With the way it currently is, I have to drag the formula down with every submission. There has to be a way or a workaround to fix this. I've looked at other topics/questions and can't seem to find anything that will help this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• Jgorsich
    Jgorsich ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I feel your pain - I'm a big fan of using the same technique in Excel and finding a work around was a big priority for me. Luckily, I've got one for you!

First, you'll need to add some kind of counter column - search for any answer that includes "row@row" and you'll find different ways to do it. Once you've got that, you can change your countif to a countifs and do this:

=countifs(LPS Function]:[LPS Function], "Content Management",row:row,<= row@row)

Basically ends up doing the same thing but fits inside of the fairly draconian column formula rules.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!