How do you enter a long formula?

Hello,

I have quite a long formula, I wrote it in Word... When I copy and paste, the cells used in the formula are not highlighted, so I think the program doesn't recognize them. Therefore, I am copying my formula by hand.

However, when I am at about the second or third line and I click on a cell to use it in the formula, the formula entry box keeps disappearing. Cells used in the formula are still highlighted in the sheet, but I cannot do anything anymore but refresh the sheet. Then, my changes to the formula are gone.

One I still saw the formula entry box, but it was half out of the screen and I couldn't see what I was writing...

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with long formulas?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like you may have a syntax issue. Are you able to post the formula? I have put together quite a few very long formulas including formulas that exceeded the 4,000 characters per cell limit with no issue (other than the limit not letting me save).

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯
    AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @VeraB

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, Word and other applications can add strange characters, so I'd recommend using Notepad or something similar.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

βœ…Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!