Formula for recurring event (daily and weekly)

Hello, I am generating a sheet to link to the calendar app and am trying to limit the amount of work needed on the backend.

1. I have a daily check in I want listed in the sheet so that it is visible on the calendar app but want to avoid having to manually select each day for the next 6 months. Is there an automation or formula that I can use so that it auto populates sequential dates?
  2. Similar situation, I have a meeting that occurs every Friday and want to eliminate having to manually enter each friday's date for the next 6 months. Again, is there an automation or formula I can use to do this?

Best Answer

• Frank B.
    Frank B. ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @MirandaLang

1. Auto-populating sequential dates:
      • Start by entering the initial date in a cell. For example, let's assume you enter the initial date in cell A2.
      • In the cell below it (A3), use the following formula to automatically populate the next sequential date: =A2 + 1.
      • Copy the formula in cell A3 and paste it down the column. Smartsheet will automatically increment the date by 1 for each row, populating sequential dates.
    2. Recurring meetings on Fridays:
      • Enter the initial date of the first Friday in a cell. Let's assume you enter the initial date in cell B2.
      • In the cell below it (B3), use the following formula to calculate the next Friday's date: =B2 + 7.
      • Copy the formula in cell B3 and paste it down the column. Smartsheet will automatically add 7 days to each previous Friday, generating the next dates for the recurring meetings.

By using these formulas, you can avoid the manual entry of each day or recurring date for the next 6 months. Smartsheet will calculate the dates automatically based on the initial date and formula you provide.

HTH!

Answers

• Frank B.
    Frank B. ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @MirandaLang

1. Auto-populating sequential dates:
      • Start by entering the initial date in a cell. For example, let's assume you enter the initial date in cell A2.
      • In the cell below it (A3), use the following formula to automatically populate the next sequential date: =A2 + 1.
      • Copy the formula in cell A3 and paste it down the column. Smartsheet will automatically increment the date by 1 for each row, populating sequential dates.
    2. Recurring meetings on Fridays:
      • Enter the initial date of the first Friday in a cell. Let's assume you enter the initial date in cell B2.
      • In the cell below it (B3), use the following formula to calculate the next Friday's date: =B2 + 7.
      • Copy the formula in cell B3 and paste it down the column. Smartsheet will automatically add 7 days to each previous Friday, generating the next dates for the recurring meetings.

By using these formulas, you can avoid the manual entry of each day or recurring date for the next 6 months. Smartsheet will calculate the dates automatically based on the initial date and formula you provide.

HTH!

• MirandaLang
    MirandaLang ✭✭✭✭

Thank you do much for the tip! It worked perfectly!