Can I get help with a SUMIF formula for a Sheet Summary?

Options

Is it possible to SUMIF a $ value column, based on a "this month" check box in Sheet Summary? I', using [Value]:[Value] and [This month?]:[This month?] for my columns.

Thanks!

Jen

Jen Lawson, PMP

Vernal Biosciences

Colchester, VT 05446

Best Answer

Answers

• Hollie Green
    Hollie Green ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you provide some screenshots removing any sensitive data to better understand your layout and what is the the sheet summary and what is in the sheet itself.

• Kleerfyre
    Kleerfyre ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/22/23
    Options

To use a column in a summary sheet formula, just start writing the formula in the summary cell and then when you get to the part for your column, just click on it in the sheet and it will be in your formula.

For a SUMIF formula, the first range would be the month column, then the month you want it to filter for, then enter the range you want it to sum.

=SUMIF([This Month?]:[This Month?], "This Month", [Value];[Value])

Hope that helps.

Edit: I just re-read it and I think you are wanting to tie in the checkbox that is on the summary sheet, correct? It would work the same way, but I am not sure of what you are wanting to do exactly with the this month checkbox in the summary. Please explain just a bit more please.

Jonathan Sanders, CSM

"Change is always scary because it is unknown, but facing the unknown is what makes us stronger."

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/22/23
    Options

Hi @Jen Lawson,

Using your column names, see if this works for you in your Sheet Summary field, presuming everything is on the same sheet:

=SUMIF([This month?]:[This month?], @cell = 1, [Value]:[Value])

The @cell =1 is looking to see if the checkbox is checked (1).

Hope this helps!

• Jen Lawson
    Jen Lawson ✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/22/23
    Options

Here's a screenshot of what I am trying to calculate. The formula I put in there, per ker9 came up as #Invalid Data Type

Jen

Jen Lawson, PMP

Vernal Biosciences

Colchester, VT 05446

• Hollie Green
    Hollie Green ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/22/23
    Options

@Jen Lawson I think the problem may be in your This month? column. What are you using for the formula there to get it to put a check mark.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You will need to wrap whatever formula you have in the [This Month] column in an IFERROR statement so that there are no errors in that column.

=IFERROR(original_formula, "")

• Jen Lawson
    Jen Lawson ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The question mark is actually part of the Column Name only. It's a check box column

Jen Lawson, PMP

Vernal Biosciences

Colchester, VT 05446

• Jen Lawson
    Jen Lawson ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Paul-

Thanks, I tried that and got an "Incorrect Argument" error. Formula was updated to =IFERROR(MONTH([Invoice Requested]@row) = MONTH(TODAY()), 1, "", "")

Do I have something extra in here?

Thank you!!

Jen Lawson, PMP

Vernal Biosciences

Colchester, VT 05446

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It looks like you forgot to include the IF portion.

=IFERROR(IF(.............), "")

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!