Is there a way to stop batching in an automated alert in order to send a single row at a time?

We set up a process to generate certificates of completion for a large group over the next 3 weeks. The new certificates create a ticket in order then be sent manually to attendees since we are not able to modify the look of an automated email. The requests all come in at roughly the same time, and are coming in as a single batched email instead of row by row. How might we either stop the batching or manage the trigger so that it is one email alert per row?

Answers

• Kleerfyre
    Kleerfyre ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is one person responsible for answering the requests? Is there a reason you need them separated? Depending on how you want this split, it could be quite a large addition to a workflow using the conditions to split them out. Knowing the two questions above will help in figuring out a possible solution.

Jonathan Sanders, CSM

"Change is always scary because it is unknown, but facing the unknown is what makes us stronger."

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Donna Kesterson

I hope you're well and safe!

Depending on how many it is, you could use the Placeholder feature to force them to be sent individually.

Placeholders will generate separate notifications when using placeholders with Alert or Update Request actions in change-based workflows if six or fewer rows are triggered simultaneously. The custom subject and body will be removed if seven or more rows are triggered at once.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you, yes. They are flowing into a case queue so multiple people can manage the requests. The process designed allows the team managing the case queue to forward the attached document to the requestor after quickly cleaning up the auto-generated email. Having multiple certificates attached to the initial notification complicates the process. I am willing to create a more complicated workflow in SS in order to send one row at a time.