Is it possible to create new line items on a Smartsheet from an Email?

I've created a simple smartsheet list to track projects. these projects currently originate from an email sent to one person who takes the data from the email and enters it into our smartsheet form/list. It would eliminate a step and manual effort if that email could be accepted by Smartsheet and a new entry created.

Best Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @PGoodwin86

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, you could do it with something like the 3rd-party service, Zapier, or similar.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sarah Donnelly
    Sarah Donnelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@PGoodwin86 at my organization we use the Smartsheet Outlook Add-in (free) to both update or create new rows on a sheet. The user must have a Smartsheet account, although it could be a free user account. Would something like that work for you? (https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1960482-smartsheet-app-for-outlook) There are other add-ins available too. We just happen to be a Microsoft Office so this is the one we use.

For our org, we use this the most when a member bypasses our support ticket form and emails staff directly. When our staff receives the email, they click on the SS Add-in and search for the needed sheet. Once they open the sheet they can select the needed row and add the email as a comment (and manually update fields in that row if needed) or select the "add new row" button. After clicking 'add new row' the staff can see all the fields available on the new row and fill in any relevant information and a copy of the original email is attached to the new row as a comment. Our staff has found it very useful.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @PGoodwin86

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, you could do it with something like the 3rd-party service, Zapier, or similar.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you @Andrée Starå for the quick response. Is the answer the same if the email is coming from JIRA. Is there ability for JIRA to trigger a new row in a smartsheet without a 3rd party solution?

Thanks.

Pat

• Sarah Donnelly
    Sarah Donnelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@PGoodwin86 at my organization we use the Smartsheet Outlook Add-in (free) to both update or create new rows on a sheet. The user must have a Smartsheet account, although it could be a free user account. Would something like that work for you? (https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1960482-smartsheet-app-for-outlook) There are other add-ins available too. We just happen to be a Microsoft Office so this is the one we use.

For our org, we use this the most when a member bypasses our support ticket form and emails staff directly. When our staff receives the email, they click on the SS Add-in and search for the needed sheet. Once they open the sheet they can select the needed row and add the email as a comment (and manually update fields in that row if needed) or select the "add new row" button. After clicking 'add new row' the staff can see all the fields available on the new row and fill in any relevant information and a copy of the original email is attached to the new row as a comment. Our staff has found it very useful.

• @Sarah Donnelly Thank you! This may be a good workaround to avoid bringing on a 3rd party app. I will try it out. It's too bad there's no out of the box way to have an outlook email create a new row but really appreciate this option. have a great rest of the week :-)

Pat