Is it possible to show all or selected sheet rows on a form?

molson
molson ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/01/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I am tasked to show all active rows from a sheet in a Smartsheet form where users can select which one they want to de-activate and provide business reasons and justifications.

Is this possible?

Tags:

Best Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There are a few ways to do this.

1) You would need to set up a Data Shuttle workflow to export the column containing the Row ID as an excel doc. You would want to include a filter in the workflow to only pull rows that are active. Then you would need to set up a second Data Shuttle workflow to update the dropdown values in the column where the user can select the Row ID they want to deactivate.

2) You could use a Dynamic View.

3) You can use a report to show only rows that are active and drop that onto a dashboard alongside a form that allows free text for the Row ID they want to deactivate.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I personally prefer Dynamic View.

You can use a Web Content widget and drop the form URL in. I would suggest setting the form to automatically refresh after submission.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There are a few ways to do this.

1) You would need to set up a Data Shuttle workflow to export the column containing the Row ID as an excel doc. You would want to include a filter in the workflow to only pull rows that are active. Then you would need to set up a second Data Shuttle workflow to update the dropdown values in the column where the user can select the Row ID they want to deactivate.

2) You could use a Dynamic View.

3) You can use a report to show only rows that are active and drop that onto a dashboard alongside a form that allows free text for the Row ID they want to deactivate.

• molson
    molson ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Paul for these suggestions!

I have used Data Shuttle and Reports/Dashboard, but not Dynamic Views. Based on your options, it seems I'm leaning towards either Dynamic Views or the Dashboard. Just a couple of questions:

1. Which one is better for a user point of view - the Dynamic View or Dashboard? (Sorry, I have not seen or used Dynamic Views) For a builder point of view, specially for someone who has not done Dynamic Views?
    2. If we opt for the Dashboard, is there a way to include a Form on a Dashboard?
    3. We want to update the sheet with the active rows as well to show de-activation after the whole exercise. Is this easier to do on Dynamic Views or the Form on the Dashboard (Data Mesh possibly to use here)?
  • Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I personally prefer Dynamic View.

You can use a Web Content widget and drop the form URL in. I would suggest setting the form to automatically refresh after submission.

• molson
    molson ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the tips. I would look into Dynamic View then.