How can I tell where the automation email fail is coming from?

Options

My IT Dept. says Smartsheets is whitelisted. They show no record of any emails getting blocked. However, my automation is to send an email when a row is added from a form and now no emails are going out to anyone.

I even tried Run Now and nothing is going out. Is it Smartsheets? Is it down? It worked two weeks ago when we were testing. We went live last week with our new workflow and now Smartsheet automation doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Answers

• Melissa Yamada
    Melissa Yamada ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try checking your notification settings. If you are unsubscribed you will not get an email even if the automation criteria is met.

• Kim F
    Kim F ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Melissa. I checked on this and everything is checked. I also looked at the sheet properties and no one has unsubscribed from it.

The odd thing is I do get other Smartsheet emails. e.g. I filled out a form and checked the box to cc myself on the form responses. I added my email address and submitted the form. I got that email. The only thing is no one listed in the automation (which I'm also listed) received the email notification that a new line was added. Those same steps last week while testing resulting in me getting two emails - one as someone listed in the automation notification and one, as a cc of my responses to myself.

It's a bit of a mystery, especially since it was all working last Monday!

Thank you for responding so quickly too!

• Melissa Yamada
    Melissa Yamada ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is odd.

When you go in to edit the automation, what does it say the 'Last Ran on' date is? If it's not a recent date there could be something in your conditions that is stopping the automation from running.

• Kim F
    Kim F ✭✭
    Options

@Melissa Yamada

Hi - yes, this was odd but we finally figured it out! We're new to Smartsheets so sort of stumbling through a few things. The emails generated from the automation were not going through. Turns out it's a simple fix but took us a second to figure out.

The automation emails were getting blocked in our spam filter and were marked as restricted because of spoofing. The subject line was my email address via automation.smartsheet.com. Because my email address was in the header it the system flagged as spoofing.

Simple fix: complete our Smartsheet profile. Duh. My first, last name fields in Smartsheets were blank. I only had email populated. As soon as I updated my profile, the emails went through. Go figure. The email header changed to my name via automation.smartsheet.com. Now no longer flagged for spam.

Seems like those fields should be required when creating a new profile. Thanks for responding to this post. Thought it be helpful to post solution for community - if this comes up for anyone else.

• Melissa Yamada
    Melissa Yamada ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad to hear you figured it out!