Gantt colors and Dashboards - is there an easier way for my issue?

Options
Emily T.
Emily T. ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/09/23 in Smartsheet Basics

The issue I'm having is that I'm creating a milestone dashboard with gantt view, but need to be able to change the colors of the gantt chart, which can only be done in the grid sheet. Smartsheets does not allow for changing the gantt colors of lines that are considered headers, subheaders, etc. Only task lines. So now I'm copying rows to another sheet, linking them to the main project plan so they'll automatically update, changing the gantt colors, so I can then create a report showing the actual information I need in order to put in my dashboard. There's got to be an easier way.

Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Emily T.

I only found out about the following when I saw your question.

"Smartsheets does not allow for changing the Gantt colors of lines that are considered headers, subheaders, etc. Only task lines."  (I assumed the headers and subheaders are parent rows with children and dependencies are enabled in the project settings.)

As you can see in the dashboard image below, the headers (or parents) line bar is not color-configured on the sheet.

Also, the report of that sheet is not "Conditional Formatting" for the colors unique to the headers (or parents) row, so it is hard to recognize if it is the parent row.

Therefore, in the following report, we added a column to the original sheet to determine whether or not the row is a "Parent Row" and used that information to create Conditional Formatting for the parent row.

(The formula to determine if a row is a parent row is as follows. =IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) > 0, 1, 0)

The parent rows' conditional formatting makes it easier to see that the bar is for headers (or parents) rows when displayed on the dashboard.

Please take a look at the published version of the dashboard.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Emily T.

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now in another way, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• CaitlinMcGrath11
    edited 09/13/23
    Options

Hi @Emily T.@jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp

I am trying to do something similar, but I can't seem to replicate your results. I see there is a potential other formula called "Gantt Colors and Dashboards: Index&Match" that may be helping in your published example (thanks so much by the way!). Can you share this formula and any other configurations or helper sheets that would complete the puzzle for me?

Thanks!