Why does my automation flow not work ?

Victor23ps
Victor23ps ✭✭
edited 10/26/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I have created an automatic workflow in which, when there are 2 days left to complete a task, the person assigned to that task is notified by mail.

The automation is set properly because it works when I hit the "run now" manually, and then the alarm is sent by mail.

Why does not the alarm trigger itself ?

Thank you very much

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Victor23ps

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

Have you checked your personal settings too?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi André !

Thanks for your answer, here are some screenshots, I apologize because they are in spanish...

The automation is set to warn and send an email when a task which is unfinished (no aplica or finalizado) and its deadline is in less than 2 days. The process doesn't work eventhough it is well set, how do I know that ? when I run the automation manually, the alarm and mail is set without a problem...

As for my settings, here they are:

As for other settings, I believe they are correctly set.

Thank you very much !

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My Spanish is a bit rusty, so I apologize if I am misreading things. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on anything.

To start, the Run Now feature disregards all triggers and will only look at conditions. Just because that works doesn't necessarily mean that your trigger is set up the way you would expect it to work.

If I am digging up the old high school lessons properly, I believe you have your trigger set to

When a date is reached

Run Once | 2 days before

Date field | Target Date

I feel like that SHOULD be working as you expect it to, but since it is not, maybe we can try a different approach. Try setting your trigger to just run daily. Then use a condition where your date is in the next two days in addition to your existing condition.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Thanks for your rapid answer Paul, your spanish is not as rusty as you think, since you understood everything !

I will edit my automation and try with a "run daily" trigger + a condition.

Thanks a lot !

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• BB2791
    BB2791 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Paul Newcome ,

I'm hoping on this thread because I am having a similar issue where I am able to run my automation with "Run Now" based on the conditions I have set and it works but I'm not getting my trigger to set the automation off. I have the trigger set to run daily. For my test, I set it to today's date at noon. When noon came, the automation did not run. I've put screenshots below. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I don't fully understand how the run daily trigger works:

Any advice? Thanks

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BB2791 The way your automation is set up is it will scan the sheet every day at noon (eastern). Any row that meets the conditions should trigger the change cell value.

10xViz.com

• BB2791
    BB2791 ✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome Thanks for taking a look. There seems to be a delay with the trigger. It doesn't work at noon as set for my time zone but it eventually does work.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you been able to figure out when it does in fact trigger?

10xViz.com