Filtered column not showing relevant data

I am trying to filter a column on an item number. I create a new filter on the 'Product' column with the 'contains' condition and enter the item number as the value. The filter returns no results. If I paste that same exact item number into the Search bar in the top right corner of the webpage and filter the location to 'Current Sheet' the row is found. What am I doing wrong with the filter for it to not find the row that clearly exists?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide screenshots for reference?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Greetings @trent ,

Without more information, my response will be based on what I think might be the issue.

My assumptions:

The product column is not a list of item numbers but a name or description.

There is a column that contains item numbers.

Possible solution:

When using the filter on the sheet, it will only look at the column you specify, whereas the search bar will search the entire sheet.

If the item number is in a different column, use that column or a combination of columns to get the item you are looking for.

I hope this helps and that my assumptions were pretty close.

Frank Smith, PMP

Assistant Director | IT Special Projects Mgr.

Oregon Parks & Recreation Department

If my response helps, please mark it as an accepted answer. 😎

• trent
    trent ✭✭

@Paul Newcome @Frank S. Thank you both for the reply. I have added some screenshots and additional info below.

SS of my Product column. Product numbers are in this column.

Creating filter to search for the top row - item# 1000460

That filter not returning any rows.

Using the Search function in the top right corner does find the correct row when I select 'Current Sheet' for the location.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Trent

• AravindGP
    AravindGP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Trent,

Contains looks for the value to be part of a larger value/string. For example, if the value was Product# 1000460, you can use Contains and "1000460" to get the value in the filter. The better option would be to use "is one of" or "is equal to"

Thanks,

Aravind GP| Principal Consultant

Atturra Data & Integration

M: +61493337445

E:Aravind.GP@atturra.com

W: www.atturra.com