Looking for Dashboard Help - MTD, QTD, YTD Representation

Ryan Sides
Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/21/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi folks!

Looking for help on how to best represent 15 different KPIs on a dashboard(s) with the ability to indicate the period (MTD, QTD, YTD).

I realize we can't dynamically filter dashboards so instead of creating multiple dashboards (one for each period), is anyone creatively solving for this? If so, how?

Without using tableau or power bi.

The only 2 scenarios I've used in the past are:

1) Multiple sections (one per period) on a single dashboard

2) Multiple dashboards (one per period) linked together

Thanks!

Ryan Sides

Smartsheet Tips and Tricks for Beginners and Advanced on LinkedIn and YouTube

Come Say Hello!

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Other than having 3 separate sections on a single dashboard, the only way I have found to do this doesn't scale very well at all. How many users would need to be able to make the selection?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Paul!

30+ if we include stakeholders outside of the immediate team

5 if we only include the immediate team.

Ryan Sides

Come Say Hello!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ryan Sides

I hope you're well and safe!

How often do you think they would request the data?

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So there is a solution, but as I said... It doesn't scale very well.

Basically you use a form to "request" a certain period. The most recent form entry pushes the date range over to your metrics sheet which has the formulas updated to filter by that date range. The form settings take you to the dashboard upon submission, and there is a shortcut to the form on the dashboard to request a new date range.

Here's the catch... It goes by the most recent form submission. So I am looking at Q1 2023. Then you request Q2 2023. If I refresh my browser, the dashboard refreshes automatically, or if I leave the dashboard and come back to it then I will be seeing Q2 2023. I use a metrics widget to very clearly display the date range currently loaded into the dashboard, but it can still get pretty hectic the more people that are using it.

If that sounds like it is feasible by limiting the number of people who can submit a form and you want more details on the setup, feel free to let me know.

What I generally use for my clients though is separate dashboards with quick links to the others unless they are really insistent on having a single dashboard. Then I set it up so that there are three distinct sections. Typically the only time I have offered the form option to clients is when there is only one person using the dashboard to present to others in a meeting or some other similar situation (as few users as possible regardless).

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Andree! I am well and safe 😁 You?

They want it on a dashboard, so always available, but in reality, once a week at most.

Ryan Sides

Come Say Hello!

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome Makes sense. The form is an interesting approach, but I see what you mean with the limitations for multiple users.

Ryan Sides

Come Say Hello!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ryan Sides

What Paul said!

And to add.

I used it recently for one client with multiple salespeople, and the CEO wanted to select a person and have the dashboard with reports/metrics/charts updated automatically.

For another client, I used it to select a geographic area and month, quarter, year, or similar.

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ryan Sides

Glad to hear it, and I'm the same!

Once a week would work be viable with the form method.