Struggling with Notification Preferences

I have a user with the following configuration:

Two automations are defined:

1 - Trigger: When rows are changed. Alert Someone - Send to Specific People (contacts provided)

2 - Trigger: When rows are added or changed. Alert Someone- Send to Specific People (contacts provided)

There is no problem with the notifications firing and being received. The problem is WHERE the notifications are received. The notifications from Trigger #1 are sent to his email ID, however, the notifications from Trigger #2 are sent to Microsoft Teams (he has the Smartsheet app installed).

I would have expected both to be sent to email. Why not?

Is there documentation that can provides clarity?

Best Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    Answer ✓

Seems like a bug, I’d reach out to Support.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @LWright

Yes, this looks to be unexpected, as your workflow should count as a "sheet change" and not a sharing invitation.

Please submit your ticket to Support through the Support Portal with the following information:

• Screen capture of the second workflow build (as you have above, but including the message)
    • Identify the Workflow ID (Sheet > Automations > Manage Workflows > three dots in the top right > Workflow Properties)
    • Screen capture of the message received in Teams
    • Email address of the user that is receiving the notification
    • Screen capture of the user's Notification Preferences (as above)

Thank you,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    Answer ✓

Seems like a bug, I’d reach out to Support.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• @LWright I agree with @Brian_Richardson - both workflows should be sending to this user's email as they're sheet changes.

Is it possible that the second notification received in Teams was from a different workflow/action? Do they have any emails caught in their spam?

• LWright
    LWright ✭✭✭

Thanks Brian/Genevieve for your responses.

Genevieve...Yes, they are from different workflows, but because they both are sheet changes, I expected both to be delivered to the employee's email ID. Is my assumption wrong? By the way, nothing is in Clutter/Junk folders.

• Hi @LWright

My apologies, I meant is it possible the Teams notification came from another trigger... a third trigger (such as someone @mentioning them).

Can you post a screen capture of the full workflow set-up for the second workflow? But please block out sensitive data. 🙂

• LWright
    LWright ✭✭✭

Understood. We don't utilize @Mentions. The triggers are relatively basic. They are below.

Trigger #1

Trigger #2

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @LWright

Yes, this looks to be unexpected, as your workflow should count as a "sheet change" and not a sharing invitation.

Please submit your ticket to Support through the Support Portal with the following information:

• Screen capture of the second workflow build (as you have above, but including the message)
    • Identify the Workflow ID (Sheet > Automations > Manage Workflows > three dots in the top right > Workflow Properties)
    • Screen capture of the message received in Teams
    • Email address of the user that is receiving the notification
    • Screen capture of the user's Notification Preferences (as above)

Thank you,

Genevieve

• LWright
    LWright ✭✭✭

Thanks the case has been opened.