Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Bring Back The Old Sheet Picker for Copy/Move Row Automations

Options
Paul Newcome
Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The new "search based" functionality for picking the destination for copy and move row automations has proven to be more painful than helpful.

I wish I had screenshots of the old one, but it was much more user friendly.

I'm putting this out there to hopefully get the new UI reverted back to the previous UI. 🤞

49 votes

On Radar · Last Updated

Thank you for providing your feedback on the updated search experience in Move and Copy row workflows. While we have no current plans to change this feature, we want to hear more about your individual experiences. Please keep commenting and voting on this request, identifying how you want the sheet picker to improve so we can review your feedback as we make future decisions in this area.

Comments

• Ami Veltrie
    Ami Veltrie ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

YES please bring back the old way!! The new way does not allow me to see the current destination sheet name. It's terrible!!

• Deanna Vandermeer
    Deanna Vandermeer Overachievers Alumni
    Options

YES! I agree, please bring back the old way!!!!!! This new way is not helpful at all and I do not understand why it was rolled out without further testing/feedback opportunities. Very cumbersome. Please consider putting this back to the old way.

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

• Ken Armstrong
    Ken Armstrong ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes Yes and Yes! Please bring the old way back!

Ken Armstrong

Smartsheet Operations Analyst, Carelon Medical Benefits Management

Certified Smartsheet Administrator

Be Firm! Be Fair! Be Friendly! Be Honest!!!

• Jim Wilson
    Jim Wilson ✭✭✭
    Options

I also agree. As a workaround until they bring back the sheet picker, I have "Renamed" the target sheets to something that will show in the search and renamed back when I completed my workflow.

Yes, very difficult to distinguish between sheets as I have setup a "Project Folder" template and use the same names for everything under that folder.

• rlacout
    rlacout ✭✭
    edited 07/24/23
    Options

Include a Column Selection at the same time. Many issues would be resolved.

Select the Target Sheet --> Choose the Columns you want to copy upon an automated trigger.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@rlacout I believe there may already be an Idea posted that you could add your vote to for that.

• rlacout
    rlacout ✭✭
    edited 07/25/23
    Options

Thank you. I've voted that one up and am just looking for possible solutions.

• Shawn Thomas
    Options

Agreed- very painful at the moment with the sheet picker...

• Jason P
    Jason P ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In what universe is this change "Smart"?

Replacing the intuitive tree menu with a manual search to access sheets, presents a significant setback for users managing a substantial number of sheets like myself. The former tree menu system offered a seamless and comprehensive overview of all available sheets, allowing users to efficiently navigate through their projects. This feature was especially beneficial for accounts hosting a considerable volume of sheets, as it facilitated quick access and reduced the cognitive load of remembering specific sheet names.

By reverting to the manual search approach has hindered user productivity. Locating a single sheet now demands extra effort and time, compounded when dealing with dozens or even hundreds of sheets. This unnecessary friction could lead to frustration, delayed task execution, and increased potential for errors due to misidentification or overlooking sheets. The old method's tree menu was not only user-friendly but also contributed to a streamlined "Smart" workflow. Reintroducing this feature would greatly enhance the platform's usability, particularly for new users and those managing complex projects and extensive sheet libraries...

Cheers.

Forever forwards Backwards never.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jason P To be fair... This was sent through the Early Adopter Program for testing and feedback from actual users. I can't speak to the size of the group or know how many people out of that group actually chose to test, but it must have gotten some good feedback. Smartsheet does actually listen to their users, but not all users speak up.

• Jason P
    Jason P ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cheers Paul,

This 'search' for sheet not good, it's a sure bet the developers use a folder tree for critical systems or immediate projects.. I have 43 sheets in 14 work groups, can't imagine how Govt users cope. Pray they don't apply the same search field in Folder Browse...

Perhaps they can update their help page for new users.

Set up an automated move or copy rows action

In your source sheet:

1. Create a new workflow, and set up the workflow triggers and conditions.
    2. In the Select an action box, select Move rows or Copy rows.
    3. Under Move rows or Copy rows, choose Select a sheet.
    4. In the Select a sheet dialog, choose your destination sheet, and then select OK.

Not happy..🤬

Cheers.

• Jason P
    Jason P ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm sure it's known but just in case. I was able to find an expanded list of all Workspaces/sheets by right-click a row number on any sheet and select Move Row from the context menu. Using another application I captured as a scrolling pic and have printed for distribution.

Praying they don't introduce the same search sheet feature for cross sheet formulas / Reports / Dashboards. We have Dynamic view not yet built - now dreading this project...

Cheers.