Copy rows to another sheet using workflow

Hello

I have a workflow which triggers when a column (calculation) changes to value to anything above 15.

The workflow then is set to move these rows to another worksheet, using a condition whereby status = 'open' from another column.

All looks good, but nothing happens on the destination sheet when I run it.

What am I missing?

Katie

Answers

• KatieDi
    KatieDi ✭✭

Ok, so I've got it working, but how can I work it in reverse?

Scenario:

Project risks that score 15+ are copied from the Project risk log (source sheet) to the Programme risk log (destination sheet).

But, I need them to be removed from the destination sheet if the score drops down below 15.

I can push them up, but changing them on the source sheet doesn't then change them on destination sheet - it stays what it was when it was copied.

Any ideas?

Katie

• KatieDi
    KatieDi ✭✭

More info.. If I increase the score, e.g. from 16 to 25, it adds the row again.

I think, quite simply (!) is what I'm trying to do is have a dynamic row in the destination sheet that updates and behaves the same as the source sheet, but the condition is that only displays in the destination sheet if it scores over 15.

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @KatieDi

I would try to use a report for this if possible. You could set the report to only show rows where the value is between the numbers you need. And if you need more columns on the report that aren't needed on the source sheet, you could add them to the source sheet and hide them. Or...maybe have the source sheet be a file that no one accesses and have the source sheet people work off of be a report as well with filters opposite of the other report.

I know its the answer you were looking for but I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @KatieDi

I hope you're well and safe!

If I understand your process correctly. Can you use something as a unique identifier for each row?

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

To connect them row by row, you'd use an Autonumber Column in the Source sheet and add a so-called helper column to manually add the row id on as many rows as you think you need in the Destination sheet.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• KatieDi
    KatieDi ✭✭

Hi Andree,

Thank you for your response. I think it may work, however, I'd have no idea where to start with a VLOOKUP. I've never done it before and I don't know how/where I'd use it.

Each row already has a unique identifier (the Risk ID) so could use that - I just don't know how I'd go about getting that row into the destination sheet when it meets certain criteria.

Katie

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!