Why can't I find a source sheet when running an automation to copy row to new sheet?

I am running an automation template to copy row to new sheet. Seems simple enough but when I click on the link to choose the source sheet to copy the row to, I get nothing. I can't search or see any of my existing sheets.

Answers

• Pam Ferguson
    Pam Ferguson Overachievers Alumni

I had that problem earlier today. It may just be a glitch. Try refreshing your browser.

PS: Make sure you have saved the new sheet you are copying to -- I have created a new sheet in a different tab and forgot to save it, then tried to find the sheet. Of course, it didn't because I didn't save it and refresh my other tab..... I blame it on not enough coffee.....🙄

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @AlexSmith

What happens if you type into the search field and press enter? Sometimes it seems like all the workspaces/sheets should be visible in that window and typing into the search field would narrow the search. But in reality, you type into that field to get the search process started.

If that doesn't solve it, it could be a permissions issues.

Let us know and I hope this helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• I created and saved a new sheet. I am the owner of both sheets so permissions shouldn't be an issue. Nothing comes up when I try to search it says couldn't find any matches.

• Hi @AlexSmith

If you had only just created the sheet before setting up the workflow, the search may not be able to find the sheet right away. It can sometimes take around 5 minutes for newly created sheets to be indexed.

Can you try again today and see if it now appears? I would recommend copy/pasting the sheet name in so that it's a direct match for the name. Let us know if that helped!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• @AlexSmith did you ever get a resolution to this issue as I am having the exact same problem today. Have tried refreshing browser, logging in/out, leaving it a while……and still no luck. Am also admin/owner of both sheets….still nothing. It's driving me a little mad!

• Hello, today I needed to do this process and I managed normally, I also own both spreadsheets, I copied the name of the destination and pasted it, it worked normally.

• How did you copy and paste the destination? When I try to paste anything in the sheet name field, it doesn't give me the option to select it. "OK" is grayed out.

• I figured it out - the description of this feature are somewhat misleading.

Not only do YOU have to be owner or admin on both sheets, but if someone else owns the sheet you're setting up the automation in, THEY also have to be either Owner or Admin of the copy-to sheet.