How to stop submitter from receiving duplicate emails when Approval Request is approved?

I have an Approval Request set up but since you can't send "reminders" in the scenerio where the approver hasn't approved or denied, I set up a "Reminder" Approval Request to trigger every 5 days using the exact same workflow. However, when it is approved (and maybe denied - haven't received those yet), the submitter is getting duplicate emails stating it is approved. I've read this may because the same columns/values are used in both workflows but how do I get the Reminder to work and not have duplicate emails to submitters?

Answers

• Itai
    Itai ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Elisha,

I hope I understood correctly.

You can create a reminder automation on the column where the approved/declined answer will be added.

If the cell is empty/Submitted (the name you gave it in the first automation) then send a reminder.

You can add a condition to it that it will only send after a date has passed (5 days from the row being added) - you might need a helper column if you dont capture this date.

Let me know if that helped!

Itai Perez

Reporting and Project Manager

If you found my comment helpful any reaction, Insightful, Awsome etc... would be appreciated🙂

https://www.linkedin.com/in/itai-perez/

• I already have that set up. So when status is "submitted" it triggers when a date is reached to send the reminder.

• Andrea Zenner
    Andrea Zenner ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elisha Lester Are you saving the responses for both workflows in the same field (Sr. Manager Approval)? If so, that could be why they are getting duplicate emails. Each response should have its own field.

You can create one approval field for the initial approval work flow and another one for the reminder approval. So "Sr. Manager Approval" and "Sr. Manager Approval Reminder" for example.

Andrea

Andrea Zenner

Program Manager | Infrastructure & Operations

Apogee Enterprises

EAP | Mobilizer | Core Product Certified | Superstar

azenner@apog.com

• Yes - i need them to be in the same column/field.